Solved

Google Cloud Storage Repository Tutorial

Userlevel 2

Could anyone share tutorial for configuring repository replication (backups) for Google Cloud Storage?

t's giving user login error, I'm having configuration difficulties between Google and Veeam for Storage Standard

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 28 July 2021, 19:43

View original

20 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Are you trying to use Veeam Backup & Replication and Google Storage for Capacity Tier?

Do you have at least a Enterprise License?

You need to configure a SOBR with a performance tier and a capacity tier to use Backup Offload to Google Cloud. For that, a Enterprise Edition is needed. Veeam Standard cannot be used for using Capacity Tier backup Offload.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Certhil - if it is giving login error you need to check the credentials for sure.  Also you can reference this part of the Veeam help site as well - Adding Google Cloud Object Storage - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you trying to use Veeam Backup & Replication and Google Storage for Capacity Tier?

You need to configure a SOBR with a performance tier and a capacity tier to use Backup Offload to Google Cloud. For that, a Enterprise Edition is needed. Veeam Standard cannot be used for using Capacity Tier backup Offload.

Yes - ensure this as well.

Userlevel 2

Yes, I have the StandardIt's not Tier, just replication of the extra repository backup (Backup 3-2-1)
Userlevel 2

@Certhil - if it is giving login error you need to check the credentials for sure.  Also you can reference this part of the Veeam help site as well - Adding Google Cloud Object Storage - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere

Yes, I have questions about creating the user in GCP and integrating with Repo Veeam
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, I have the StandardIt's not Tier, just replication of the extra repository backup (Backup 3-2-1)

Hi,

You need VUL or Enterprise level licensing or above. You also can’t backup directly to object storage. So you need to create a scale out backup repository and use GCP as your capacity tier, and then you can configure the scale out to use the “copy” move to object storage as new backups are made as part of meeting your 3-2-1!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I am not sure what you mean with “repository replication”.

Do you want to have an extra copy of your backups in another repository?

Then you will have a problem. You cannot backup or copy directly to an object storage repository.

You will have to setup an scale-out repository with the object storage repository as capacity tier. Then you are able to copy your backups to this repo.

But to do this you need to have at least enterprise licenses...

Userlevel 2

Hi,

You need VUL or Enterprise level licensing or above. You also can’t backup directly to object storage. So you need to create a scale out backup repository and use GCP as your capacity tier, and then you can configure the scale out to use the “copy” move to object storage as new backups are made as part of meeting your 3-2-1!

I have Veeam Backup Essentials Standard license with no VM limit, licensing by cluster (host) physical processorsYes, I'm doing backups directly in Veeam (Proxy and repository) and I want to replicate via Copy Job to GCP to have an external copy of the backup routines
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

I have Veeam Backup Essentials Standard license with no VM limit, licensing by cluster (host) physical processorsYes, I'm doing backups directly in Veeam (Proxy and repository) and I want to replicate via Copy Job to GCP to have an external copy of the backup routines

As it has been noted you cannot replicate using Copy Jobs to Google Cloud repositories as Veeam does not currently support that.  You need to use the Capacity Tier of a SOBR to Offload the data to GCP which is the only way at the moment.

Also if you want to use SOBR with Capacity Tier you need Enterprise Licensing.

Userlevel 2
Any option to store extra backups created for cloud security?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could possibly copy the VBK/VBM/VIB files to GCP as an extra backup but there is nothing you can do in Veeam itself without using SOBR and Capacity Tier for offload with Enterprise or higher licensing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could possibly copy the VBK/VBM/VIB files to GCP as an extra backup but there is nothing you can do in Veeam itself without using SOBR and Capacity Tier for offload with Enterprise or higher licensing.

@Chris.Childerhose makes a good point here, you should know though that should you choose to do this, Google Cloud Platform has a 5TiB limit per object (https://cloud.google.com/storage/quotas)

This is why Veeam requires the processing that it carries out on the backups as opposed to saving natively.

I know this isn’t what you’re after with regards to GCP, but this could be a way forward to use the cloud for a backup. You could look at using VTL via AWS to create virtual tape backups to AWS. It will be supported in this scenario. I’m not aware of anything similar supported for GCP at present but happy to be proved wrong on this one :relaxed:

The other alternatives are licensing uplifts, if that meets your budget requirements. (I’d strongly recommend this over VTL as working with object storage is much more efficient vs virtual tape files).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please be aware that with standard license file-to-tape backup is supported only.

Backup-to-tape is supported with at least enterprise license.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please be aware that with standard license file-to-tape backup is supported only.

Backup-to-tape is supported with at least enterprise license.

Thanks for clarifying!

Userlevel 2

As having a Gsuite subscription I believe it will be the "solution" at least to have an extra backup of the repository files.As the license I have unfortunately does not allow activating SOBR
Userlevel 2
I'm having difficulties configuring this repository
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As having a Gsuite subscription I believe it will be the "solution" at least to have an extra backup of the repository files.As the license I have unfortunately does not allow activating SOBR

I guess that is the answer then to copy the files.  Be sure to mark my answer helpful if it is the solution for your question. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What issue are you having specifically?  Let us know.  Again it could be license version related like Enterprise, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You cannot copy backups from VBR to external repositories or object storage repositories.

“An external repository is a read-only repository. You can use Veeam Backup & Replication to copy, import and/or restore backups created by Veeam Backup for AWS, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure and Veeam Backup for Google Cloud Platform from external to on-premises repositories. This way, you can perform data migration between cloud, on-premises and virtual infrastructures.”

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/external_repository.html?ver=110

To follow the advice from @Chris.Childerhose you have to copy the files from your repository external outside of VBR to google cloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You cannot copy backups from VBR to external repositories or object storage repositories.

“An external repository is a read-only repository. You can use Veeam Backup & Replication to copy, import and/or restore backups created by Veeam Backup for AWS, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure and Veeam Backup for Google Cloud Platform from external to on-premises repositories. This way, you can perform data migration between cloud, on-premises and virtual infrastructures.”

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/external_repository.html?ver=110

To follow the advice from @Chris.Childerhose you have to copy the files from your repository external outside of VBR to google cloud.

That is what I thought.  Thanks for the clarification @JMeixner :smiley:

Comment