Fun Friday: World Backup Day 2022 Countdown continues - Backup Confession Time

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The best way to deal with problems is to acknowledge them, and address them.

Story time: I often say, there are two types of people in the world, those who’ve lost data, and those who are about to. Why do I say this? Because I’ve lost data. My PC is approaching a decade in age, with a motherboard that was always slightly questionable, it would periodically boot into BIOS/UEFI instead of booting, despite seeing the SSD attached within the boot menu, a reboot would always fix it.

Suddenly the boot problem became more apparent, requiring multiple reboots to successfully connect. Then suddenly one day, it wouldn’t boot and wouldn’t see my SSD. I tested the SSD in a caddy and it was completely dead. No SMART warnings beforehand either. Thankfully it was a smaller OS device so after licking my wounds, reinstalling Windows onto a new SSD and a lot of manual retrieval of data from the various cloud services I use, I was back up and running. But clearly, a backup would’ve saved me from all that manual effort.

I keep that failed SSD on my desk to remind me to always be overly cautious with data

On today’s countdown to world backup day, I ask you, have you got any stories you’d like to share of lessons learned? And when did you last backup your own PC/Laptop?

When did you last backup your own PC/Laptop?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Interesting topic but i don’t have my answer in poll cauz i’m not backuping my professional pc because i don’t host any valuable data on it. It could be trashable if i lost my PC.

It will depends of your politic in your organization, we encourage users to not store valuable data on theirs PC and put data on application or specific share who are protected. Maybe backup VIP pc could be useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting topic but i don’t have my answer in poll cauz i’m not backuping my professional pc because i don’t host any valuable data on it. It could be trashable if i lost my PC.

It will depends of your politic in your organization, we encourage users to not store valuable data on theirs PC and put data on application or specific share who are protected. Maybe backup VIP pc could be useful.

Hi Bertrand, thanks for sharing! Sorry I should clarify, I mean your own personal computer, not work related. :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Bertrand, thanks for sharing! Sorry I should clarify, I mean your own personal computer, not work related. :relaxed:

Hehe ok but it will be the same answer, backuping valuable data in cloud or on personnal NAS. I use Veeam for the backup every month on my nas :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

One story: always remember your encryption key. If you use a password manager for it, be careful where you save your latest version.It can get uncomfortable if this is stored on the medium you want to recover. Of course, this story didn't happen to me myself. Told me by a friend :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Huge Lesson.. don’t just backup your PC, don’t forget your spouse’s and kid’s as well. Imagine the wrath you will face after all the bragging about being a Legend, or Vanguard or just IT super star wizard and then.. oops well we did not back up your pc!! BUT YOU ARE A LEGEND RIGHT?  :) That is when you would rather not be on the Avanguard of the backup revolution but instead a quiet humble 9 to 5 ordinary Jane or Joe. If your family loses data due to not having backups then you will get the NOTORIOUS title quick :).

After thought, if you drink wine next to your laptop make sure you have a backup too :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did not loose data on my laptop as I have Veeam Agent running daily on it but lost data on my Synology after an upgrade of the OS and did not have any LUN backups or snapshots working.  So always remember to back up or at least schedule snapshots for your NAS.  I was able to recover my two DCs after the NAS crashed with using the backups and restoring them. :sunglasses:

Comment