Fun Friday: What's the one thing you see in deployments that you just can't stand?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey everyone!

Happy Friday! Today I’d like to create a safe space for people to vent, and maybe learn! What’s that one thing you see in your Veeam deployments that you just love to hate?

As it’s Cyber Security Awareness Month, mine is definitely Cyber Security themed:

For me, it has to be passwords that are so weak, it was barely worth using them! I’m talking the typical dictionary attacks, variations on the word “Password” or “Admin” etc.

Fun Side Story:

I once worked with a company that decided to have their RDS server pointing out to the internet (:triangular_flag_on_post: ), they had a domain admin leave and instead of disabling the account, they reset the password to check over the account! And what did they set this key account’s password to? “Password1”. They got ransomware’d in under 20 minutes. Thankfully they had Veeam.

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I love cybersec themes: it's correct, passwords are no longer secure, you have to use passphrase.

Funfact: I often find root:password protected structures :see_no_evil:

I leave here the link to a thread: Free Certification Cybersecurity Month

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

For me is using a customer NAS as a backup target. Backup is a big part of Cyber Security.

If you can’t trust your backup repository solution, why do even have it.

You shouldn't save your budget on the backup solution. In the case of a DR, you have to be able to rely on it 100% :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

For me is using a customer NAS as a backup target. Backup is a big part of Cyber Security.

You shouldn't save your budget on the backup solution. In the case of a DR, you have to be able to rely on it 100% :grinning:

Love this point! I had a customer that had over 100TB of raw uncompressed high resolution media (essentially, one of the best data efficiency ratios I’ve ever had for Veeam protecting that data!), they were gonna spend about £10,000-15000 on a high end Synology NAS with enough storage for this, but their network was still 1Gbps.

I suggested going for a proper Dell server acting as a repository, they then had local 12Gbps SAS connectivity to the storage instead of 1Gbps from the gateway server, plus by the time we got ReFS involved, their repository is only 25% utilised! (As we shouldn’t size based on ReFS gains!).

Dell server was about £2,000 cheaper than the Synology, with the 3 year, 4 hour response warranty and by far the better solution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Turning on WAN Accelerators in VCC when they should not be and getting sales people to understand how they work and when to mention them.  Not just turn it on! :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Love this point! I had a customer that had over 100TB of raw uncompressed high resolution media (essentially, one of the best data efficiency ratios I’ve ever had for Veeam protecting that data!), they were gonna spend about £10,000-15000 on a high end Synology NAS with enough storage for this, but their network was still 1Gbps.

I suggested going for a proper Dell server acting as a repository, they then had local 12Gbps SAS connectivity to the storage instead of 1Gbps from the gateway server, plus by the time we got ReFS involved, their repository is only 25% utilised! (As we shouldn’t size based on ReFS gains!).

Dell server was about £2,000 cheaper than the Synology, with the 3 year, 4 hour response warranty and by far the better solution!

Hopefully, they have gone with your design. Loosing 100TB with the wrong storage would be a pain. 😬

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hopefully, they have gone with your design. Loosing 100TB with the wrong storage would be a pain. 😬

We did, their backup environment is now the best part of their infrastructure 🙂 just gotta convince them off of Synology low end NAS’ as their iSCSI storage…

Consumed space & what VMware reports are EXTREMELY different. Claims 0KB used on the datastore but they have multiple VMDKs at 4-6TB average size. So glad they have validated backups!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For me it's not configuring Application-Aware processing. 👹

If often find jobs where this isn't enabled because someone didn't know what this is or because it threw backup errors (wrong account, permissions,...). So you only get crash-consistent backups, no log truncation and keep wondering why Veeam doesn't offer any application restore capability.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I agree with @regnor and also activating the indexing option while most of our customers are not using Veeam Enterprise Manager… Several engineers think that indexing must be activated so a file level restore is possible :laughing: , how many times I already had to explain this...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

For me it's also guest application not configured or old servers not used anymore (repository, device agent, tape server, esxi/vcenter) but present in veeam infrastructure.

And maybe configuration backup not encrypted :)

Comment