Fun Friday: The Countdown to World Backup day is on!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Happy Friday everyone!

I’ve been speaking to @Kseniya about the upcoming world backup day and thought I’d try to make this month’s Fun Fridays all about backups and world backup day.

Today I have a simple game in mind that will help us all be more aware of backups. Here’s how it works:

It’ll be a simple Q&A, I’ll start this off with a question, and whoever comments answering the question then asks another question alongside their answer related to data protection, and whoever answers them then asks a question, as so on…

So! My question:

WHEN is world backup day?

8 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thursday, March 31

What Veeam Feature did you implement that was an aha moment that made Veeam more awesome in your environment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@DerekA Storage Integration with Nimble #BOOM 💪

Trick question - are snapshots backups?? 😂

Cheers!

@DerekA Storage Integration with Nimble #BOOM 💪

Trick question - are snapshots backups?? 😂

Cheers!

OMG Hell NO!!

Can somebody explain the 3-2-1 rule? :thinking::innocent:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though I love Storage Integration with Veeam...a fellow Vanguard shared a feature on our Slack I forgot about that I dearly love way more than SI - Instant VM Recovery. IVR for Veeam is analagous to VMotion in VMware. Both those technologies I still think are the “shizzle”. :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@HunterLF You should have 3 copies of the data, on two different media and 1 offsite/offline/immutable.

What does RPO stand for?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

RPO = Recovery Point Objective

This means how many time is between the last valid backup and the time of disaster and with this how many data is lost.

What means RTO?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

This means how many time is between the last valid backup and the time of disaster and with this how many data is lost.

What means RTO?

RTO = Recovery Time Objective 

Basically, the amount of time needed to recover from a disaster but there are caveats. Different services will have different RTOs. For example, a critical server will need a shorter RTO than say, a user desktop when recovering from backup. Depends on the business needs. 

My question: What is Veeam SOBR? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What means RTO?

RTO = Recovery Time Objective 

Basically, the amount of time needed to recover from a disaster but there are caveats. Different services will have different RTOs. For example, a critical server will need a shorter RTO than say, a user desktop when recovering from backup. Depends on the business needs. 

My question: What is Veeam SOBR? 

Loving all the Q&A’s so far!

SOBR is Scale-out Backup Repository. It’s a logical grouping of one or more backup repositories within a “performance” tier, with the option of adding object storage to the “capacity” tier and in some scenarios also an “archive” tier.

What’s the difference between crash consistent and transactionally-consistent backups?

Comment