Solved

From Backup Copy Job to Immutable Repo

• 7 December 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello,

I would like an suggestion on how to approach this scenario, I have some options in mind but I want to get some best practice if possible.

Current situation is like this:

• Backup Jobs to our Main Site
  • Backup Copy Jobs to our DR Site

Now I would like to start backups to our VHR.

From suggestion in the my previous topics I will create a VM with VBR on Synology with underlying disk that it has. I will isolate it and restrict access that is only needed.

Now I have question about Backups.
What is the best way to configure this now?
My toughs are since I already have backups on the DR Site from Main, I could configure Backup Copy Jobs and select objects from the Repo that is already on DR.

How the connection is established then?
I would guess that the VBR server will start Veeam Data Movers on the Repo from DR Site and on the VHR and that data will just transfer itself on the same site?

VBR is located in another Branch Office via IPSEC so it would not be good if the data goes from DR SITE Repo > VBR > DR Site VHR (Serbia to Austria and back to Serbia)

Drawing of the planned situation:
​​​​​​​

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 7 December 2023, 15:18

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In my understanding the data will be transferred from your secondary repo to the VHR inside the DR side. Metadata is transferred to and from the Veeam server, but this is not a huge amount of data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, everything should stay contained in the DR site for data transfer other than what Joe said about the Metadata.  BCJ jobs transfer from the repository where they read the files to the secondary location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes, everything should stay contained in the DR site for data transfer other than what Joe said about the Metadata.  BCJ jobs transfer from the repository where they read the files to the secondary location.

In my understanding the data will be transferred from your secondary repo to the VHR inside the DR side. Metadata is transferred to and from the Veeam server, but this is not a huge amount of data.

Hello @JMeixner  and @Chris.Childerhose,

So Backup Copy Job from Infrastructure (From Secondary Repo to VHR) is the best option in this case?
Thank’s for answering

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello @JMeixner  and @Chris.Childerhose,

So Backup Copy Job from Infrastructure (From Secondary Repo to VHR) is the best option in this case?
Thank’s for answering

Yes, it is the best case because everything is contained in the DR side of the diagram and does not have to travel back over your VPN.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Chris.Childerhose @JMeixner ,

I have a problem with configuring this:

When I create a new Backup Copy Job and select DR Repo as an Object, it recognize the 15TB that is there but when I start the Job I got this error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Check the logs as that error would be hard to say what to check - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

The job should start based on the second screenshot.

Comment