Solved

File to tape catalog migration

Userlevel 1

Hello, 

we are using file-to-tape jobs to archive old files like pst files. After running the file-to-tape job we delete the files on the file-system.

In the Veeam B&R console you can find the archived files in the “files” section and you can search the file name. This information is stored in the tape catalog data and you can find this by double clicking on the tapes, too. 
So this information is saved in the database, but how can i migrate or export/import this information to another veeam server? 
I am currently migrating some smaller Veeam server together to one single management server and the smaller server will be used as backup proxy. (without db) 
So on a new Veeam server i will get this information only by doing a inventory and catalog of all the old tapes.
Is there another solution for this ? 

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 20 April 2021, 14:18

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think inventory and catalog of the old tapes on the new server is the recommended and supported procedure.

Exporting and importing a table of the Veeam database from the old server to the new server… you don’t really want to do this… :sunglasses: 

And even if this would work, then all references to the tape locations (slots), library, etc. are not correct.

You can  do an inventory for a bunch of tapes with one command - select all required tapes and click inventory / catalog. So all the needed information is present on the new server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am afraid too, you will have to re-catalog tapes on new server:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/import_tapes_another_server.html?ver=110

Because you can not merge VBR configuration backups, you will also have to create all media sets as you need.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, this is the link I was looking for (and then the telephone was ringing). :grin:

The media sets should be present after the inventory is done for the imported tapes…

This is a big advantage of Veeam - all needed information is directly on the tapes. So you can import them to another server without much trouble.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just one word of caution that I think, if my memories is correct, if you have tape backups with a lot of small files this can really bloat your database.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the quick response.
@Geoff Burke yes this is correct, the number of files is not so high. 

@vNote42 @JMeixner you confirm my thinking about this. 

I hope i can copy the LTO6 tapes to LTO7 with the new tape-copy feature in Veeam 11. 
So with this i can reduce the number of tapes and simplify the re-catalog task for the future.

best regards :v:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for the quick response.
@Geoff Burke yes this is correct, the number of files is not so high. 

@vNote42 @JMeixner you confirm my thinking about this. 

I hope i can copy the LTO6 tapes to LTO7 with the new tape-copy feature in Veeam 11. 
So with this i can reduce the number of tapes and simplify the re-catalog task for the future.

best regards :v:

Yes, you can consolidate your tapes in v11:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @Kaffeepause07 ,
I am glad we were able to help you. :sunglasses:

The thread @vNote42  mentioned contains a whole bunch of useful tape improvements in V11.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank you @JMeixner !

Comment