Solved

External HDD formatted with REFS

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 3 comments

Hi, we have a strange issue where if we boot to VEEAM recovery media created in server 2016 or Server 2019 we can see the recovery EXT HDD but it shows as needing to be formatted and unreadable, we are currently using Western Digital My Passports formatted with REFS.

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Geddey 3 April 2023, 15:11

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, we have a strange issue where if we boot to VEEAM recovery media created in server 2016 or Server 2019 we can see the recovery EXT HDD but it shows as needing to be formatted and unreadable, we are currently using Western Digital My Passports formatted with REFS.

Thanks in advance

Was the external HDD with ReFS created on Win2016/2019 or was that done on say a Win10/11 machine?  Just wondering if the ReFS version is different or something?  If the HDD has backups, then it should be able to read them.

Userlevel 2

Hi Chris, the HDD was formatted on the server that is being recovered, I created a recovery disk on Server 2022 and I was able to see the backup disk without any issues, looks like a refs driver issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris, the HDD was formatted on the server that is being recovered, I created a recovery disk on Server 2022 and I was able to see the backup disk without any issues, looks like a refs driver issue

Yeah that was going to be my next guess.  Glad you got it worked out.

Userlevel 2

Not sure where you even get a driver for REFS from

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure where you even get a driver for REFS from

When Veeam creates the media, they are loaded from the driver's folder within Windows I believe.

Userlevel 2

i just need to find a refs.inf file now :)

Comment