Solved

exception was thrown during licensing process Update case

Userlevel 1
  • Comes here often
  • 9 comments

Product: Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition
Issue: exception was thrown during licensing process

Additional Details: when copy from Nas using SMB below error occured

7/4/2021 7:19:40 PM :: Failed to perform file backup Error: Unhandled exception was thrown during licensing process
any help please 

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 5 July 2021, 08:25

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @abdu ,
there is a similar error described in community

In this case the problem was wrong credentials were used.

Did you ckeck the credentials you are using for the NAS share?

Userlevel 1

Hi @abdu ,
there is a similar error described in community

In this case the problem was wrong credentials were used.

Did you ckeck the credentials you are using for the NAS share?

Thank you sir   

i road the link but its occurred after transfer more than 1 GB

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok,

community edition has 10 instance licenses included. Every 500GB NAS data one instance licence is used.

Perhaps all your free instance licenses are used with the additional data of this job?

Select in the main menu the topic “License”

In the license dialog you can see how many instance licenses are used.

When all 10 licenses are used, then you cannot save more NAS data or any new server with your community edition VBR.

Userlevel 1

Ok,

community edition has 10 instance licenses included. Every 500GB NAS data one instance licence is used.

Perhaps all your free instance licenses are used with the additional data of this job?

you mean the limit for NAS backup is  500GB but im backing up from SMB share its regard as NAS?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ok,

you mean the limit for NAS backup is  500GB but im backing up from SMB share its regard as NAS?

Hi @abdu , when backing up from an SMB share it’s classed as a NAS backup and will consume licenses. If the SMB share you’re protecting us actually backed by a Windows/Linux server it’s more license efficient to protect as a Veeam Agent or VM

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Depends on what you are doing

When you have defined a SMB share in Veeam and backup this, then yes it is a NAS backup.

I said that per 500GB one instance license is used. So you can backup maximum 5000GB NAS data (10 times 500GB),  when you are not backing up any other data. Each server uses one instance licence, too. And each workstation uses one third of an instance license.

What does the license dialog show on your server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok,

Hi @abdu , when backing up from an SMB share it’s classed as a NAS backup and will consume licenses. If the SMB share you’re protecting us actually backed by a Windows/Linux server it’s more license efficient to protect as a Veeam Agent or VM

License effectiveness depends on the data size. When you have one or more shares with a moderate amount of data, then the NAS backup can be very license effective. As long as you have less than 500GB no licence at all is used.

I have a NAS box at home with several shares. In the moment the data size of my NAS backups are something around 490GB and no license is used.

Userlevel 1

Dears thank you again for your reply 

but the problem is happened again even after use only three folders its size is 250 GB only  

see the error in statistic 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, I have to come back to my first suggestion. Is it possible, that you have a permission problem?
There are 53 inaccessible folders… At least you will have unsaved data when you cannot access all folders...

Do you have other backup jobs? Are they running without problems?

Do you have space left in your repository?

What shows your license dialog?

Userlevel 1

This is first backup job but i have other 4 replication job and its success find my license window in attache 

and the repository space is more than 2 TB

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

OK, so the licenses themselves are not the problem.

The user guide says about the users for NAS shares:

1. If you must specify user credentials to access the shared folder, select the This share requires access credentials check box. From the Credentials drop-down list, select a credentials record for a user account that has Full Control permissions on the shared folder.

To access the SMB share, you must use an account that meets either of the following requirements:

• If you only plan to back up the share, you can use an account with read-only permissions.
  • If you plan not only to back up the share, but also to restore files to it, use an account with read/write permissions.

Note 1
Accessing the SMB file share with credentials in the User Principal Name format (user@domain.xxx) is not supported.

Note 2
If the This share requires access credentials check box is not selected, to access the file share Veeam Backup & Replication uses the computer account of the backup proxy server.

Comment