Question

Error when running backup

Userlevel 4

Hello guys, how are you?

I have two backups at the moment, one is on storage and one is on external hard drives. The problem is in the external hd's the error that appears is this: Failed to connect to Installer service.
Job has failed. See logs for details.

Can you help me?

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @SeguraTI - need a bit more info than what you’ve shared. Are you running Veeam Backup/Replication in the Console and VM backup jobs, or are you running a Veeam Agent (Windows?) job? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also, if you check the log folder here - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup this might also help to determine the issue.  Like Shane said - more details the better - version, Veeam, Agent, etc.?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Depending on what you’re trying to do, and how you’re going about doing it (Agent vs VBR), you may need to add a Gateway and/or Proxy server to your Backup configuration, which...when you do, Veeam will install the Installer service on it. Anyway, just need more info on your backup setup as I shared above to be able to assist you further.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

there is an entry also at VUG Latinamerica

I saw this one after answering there.

thx.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also, if your repository is not configured for rotating drives based on the USB comment that might be an issue, but we need more details.

Userlevel 4

the error occurs in the backup that works as follows:
On a pc the agent veeam is running, and on my pc are the hd's, every week I change these hd's, and they are not on the pc where the agent veeam is because the machine doesn't support usb 3.0, that's why the backup runs on my PC

Userlevel 4

the backups were running without error, until the error of not connecting with the service installer appeared

Userlevel 4

veeam is an agent for windows, and yes, on my pc the hd's are via usb

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

veeam is an agent for windows, and yes, on my pc the hd's are via usb

This is more than likely the issue as the files needed for backup might be on another USB drive and when Veeam runs it cannot find the required files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only way to use different USB drives would be to run a full backup of the system each time you swap the drives.  Otherwise, it will never work properly.

Userlevel 4

how could i run the service installer on my pc?

Userlevel 4

the hd's are always on the same usb input, so i think the usb shouldn't be the problem

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

how could i run the service installer on my pc?

There should be a service within Windows for the Veeam Installer.  Make sure it is running there.  If not you may need to run a repair or upgrade the Agent software to fix it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

a draw will help a bit.

but, first of all, make sure your Veeam Agent is up to date, and working properly, you can run the test adding another task and local storage for the test.

then, for my understanding, are those USB drives connected to a “remote” PC shared over network?
or do you have there installed a Veeam B&R Server managing that agent, and the USB drives presented to the server as repos?

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only way to use different USB drives would be to run a full backup of the system each time you swap the drives.  Otherwise, it will never work properly.

Our rotated disk Feature must be used when you have multiple usb disks. Full backup only happens the first time you connect a new disk. When you swap back the disk to a disk which already has a backup chain on it, the chain will be continued with an incremental backup. Step 3 in the documented process.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/rotated_drives.html?ver=60

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

the error occurs in the backup that works as follows:
On a pc the agent veeam is running, and on my pc are the hd's, every week I change these hd's, and they are not on the pc where the agent veeam is because the machine doesn't support usb 3.0, that's why the backup runs on my PC

I believe rotated disks are not supported over network for Veeam Agent without a Veeam Backup & Replication server.

And without the rotated disk Feature, either the job will fail because the expected backup files cannot be found and an active full will have to be created for each disk swap as @Chris.Childerhose mentioned earlier. 
Do you use Veeam Backup & Replication together with the Agent?

I suggest to connect the disks directly to the source computer and leverage the rotated disk feature. How big is your change rate per day? Maybe the incremental backup does not require USB 3.0 to be successful within your backup window.

And the installer Service error seems more like an issue with the installation of the Agent itself.

Best,

Fabian

Comment