Question

Error to quick migration job

Userlevel 1

I have a problem when I tried to use quick migration job

Error shows

2023/5/5 下午 05:21:18 :: Copying snapshot files Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [*********] DRAP/AP.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [false] )
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [XX.XX.XXX.X];Port: 902;Login: [root];VMX Spec: [moref=71];Snapshot mor: [71-snapshot-1];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [false]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to open disk for write.
Failed to download disk 'vddkConnSpec>'.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

2023/5/5 下午 05:22:57 :: Failed to process VM DRAP at Friday, May 05, 2023 17:22:57 Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [*********] DRAP/AP.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [false] )
Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [XX.XX.XXX.X];Port: 902;Login: [root];VMX Spec: [moref=71];Snapshot mor: [71-snapshot-1];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [false]] failed because of the following errors:
Failed to open disk for write.
Failed to download disk 'vddkConnSpec>'.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

I have Vcenter. What can I do?

Thank you for help!!!!

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @Jill ,
does the DNS resolution work properly? I have seen similar error when DNS was not available or had problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello @Jill ,
does the DNS resolution work properly? I have seen similar error when DNS was not available or had problems.

I would check DNS as mentioned but also you can check the logs for more information as well here - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup.  You will have various job folders here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I assume you’re backing up with a normal backup job? What version of Veeam are you using and what version of vCenter & ESXi are you using? Is this happening to just 1 VM, all VMs in a job, or all jobs?

If DNS resolution doesn’t resolve your issue, I’ve seen a few older posts with this same error due to using incompatible versions of vSphere with Veeam. Other posts I’ve seen resolved this by installing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable; also, changing an ESXi Host Advanced parameter helped some folks. Logs, as provided by Chris, should show incompatibility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Jill ...just following up to see if any of the suggestions helped you resolve your issue.

Userlevel 1

I assume you’re backing up with a normal backup job? What version of Veeam are you using and what version of vCenter & ESXi are you using? Is this happening to just 1 VM, all VMs in a job, or all jobs?

If DNS resolution doesn’t resolve your issue, I’ve seen a few older posts with this same error due to using incompatible versions of vSphere with Veeam. Other posts I’ve seen resolved this by installing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable; also, changing an ESXi Host Advanced parameter helped some folks. Logs, as provided by Chris, should show incompatibility.

Hello @coolsport00 ,Veeam version is 12,and ESXi is 7.0 Update 3.

It happened all VM.

Can you please tell me how to check DNS? Thank you  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To check DNS, simply open a Command Prompt on your VBR server and do a ping test to your vCenter, then your VM, and your Proxies. For example, in cmd prompt, run: ping myvcenter.yourdomain.com

Then ping the VM you're having a problem with. Then ping your VBR Proxy servers to verify they're hostnames are resolvable via DNS. 

Comment