Question

Error: Cannot proceed with the job: existing backup meta file 'Daily_File_Backup.vstore' on repository 'RepoName' is not synchronized with the DB. To resolve this, run repository rescan

Userlevel 2

I had to restore the server that Veeam was on to a snapshot and now I cannot get Veeam to run the daily backup job. If I rescan repositories, it will sit forever and do nothing. Is there another way around this to get backups going again? Thank you!

11 comments

Userlevel 2

I am also unable to perform a restore because the metadata is not available. Is all my data useless now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello,

The repository rescan can take a few hours. It depends on how much data you have there.
If you need to perform an urgent restore it’s better to open a case on Veeam Support with severity 1. They would be able to help with the problem.

Userlevel 2

Okay so if I leave it, it should complete eventually? I wasn’t sure if it was doing anything. I’m on the Community version so no support but I appreciate your response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, it should eventually finishes.
If it finishes with an error paste a screenshot here and we’ll try to help.

Userlevel 2

Yes, it should eventually finishes.
If it finishes with an error paste a screenshot here and we’ll try to help.

It finished after 3 hours with an error:

2/26/2024 4:18:05 PM Error    Processing backup repositories Error: Failed to take mutex Global RWSyncMutex[BackupRepositoryResync[4b9dee41-b764-4499-aaab-2fdff3a3bfcc]] ownership

Userlevel 2

Because the repo sync process seemed to take forever, I started it more than once. I noticed that it ran again after it failed the first time. This morning, it tried a few more times and eventually succeeded. I attempted to run the backup job this morning but it failed. I am attempting to sync the repo again, once this time. Not sure where to look in the logs for the error. Looking at Job.Daily_File_Backup.txt I can see it starting and stopping but I’m not sure where the error is.

Userlevel 2

So if this fails and I can’t get this job working again, what is my course of action? Import the backups manually? I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Userlevel 2

Okay, it failed again with the following error:

2/27/2024 11:39:26 AM          RackNAS2: No backups found
2/27/2024 11:39:18 AM Warning    Failed to enumerate NAS backup metadata files Details: Agent: Failed to process method {NasMaster.ListJobBackups}: Timeout is exceeded. Duration: 01:00:00.000

I read up on .vblob files and how NAS data is structured. It appears as if I’ll need to import the old backup and redo the job.

Userlevel 2

Edit: I think I figured it out. It’s converting now.

Okay, here’s where we are. I’ve tried to add the root folder with the old backups as a new repository in order to import the backup from that repo. Unfortunately I’m not given the choice of the new repo when going to Import Data. This leads me to converting the .vblob files to a .vbm so I can import the data. I just have a question about the process. See below for the information.

When it says “Name parameter value” I take that to mean the name of the old job. “Daily File Backup” in this case. I’m not sure what to put for the $job variable.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/backup/110/powershell/convert-vbrnasbackupstorageformat.html

This example shows how to convert backups created by a file share backup job into the single file basket format.

$job = Get-VBRNASBackupjob -Name 'Daily NAS backup to StoreOnce'
Convert-VBRNASBackupStorageFormat -Job $job -BasketType SingleFileBasket

Perform the following steps:

1. Run the Get-VBRNASBackupJob cmdlet. Specify the Name parameter value. Save the result to the $job variable.
  2. Run the Convert-VBRNASBackupStorageFormat cmdlet. Specify the following settings:
  • Set the $job variable as the Job parameter value.
  • Specify the SingleFileBasket value for the BasketType parameter value.
Userlevel 2

Okay so both methods of converting failed. I’m dead in the water. When I try to import backups it says no backups found.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @theitgui -

At this point, I think Veeam Support will be your best option. Keep us posted what they say to help resolve the issue if you can.

Comment