Solved

Does Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 require a Microsoft organization ID?

• 18 January 2024
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 2

I’m trying to set up Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 on my regular BDR server and Veeam Backup system.  The configuration seems to insist that I provide some Microsoft “organization” info.  Am I misunderstanding this?

For starters, this is a Community setup, and I normally use a Microsoft 365 Family subscription.  That has no Organization ID or organization domain name.  And it does not use, or give any access to, Azure AAD/Entra.  Yet no one at Veeam seems to think that’s a problem…?  Not sure they get it.

Just as it happens, I do have a Microsoft Organization account, but it’s totally, completely separate from the Microsoft 365 Family subscription.  I definitely have a lot of OneDrive data stored there that I want to back up, as well as Exchange data.  If I use the Organization in the Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365, will I still be able to backup the Family subscription with Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365?

And I am running a local Active Directory service, but it has nothing to do with anything above.

It would be nice if someone at Veeam would clarify this.

Oh, and if there’s a better place I should ask this, I’d appreciate that too.

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 18 January 2024, 23:17

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, nope you can’t back up “personal” M365 with this product, it utilises Azure AD/Entra ID integration to read the data via various API permissions and that structure doesn’t exist for personal M365 accounts. Hope that helps!

Userlevel 2

Thanks!  Dang, it would sure be nice if they said so before I wasted all that time struggling with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It would be nice for a personal account for sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks!  Dang, it would sure be nice if they said so before I wasted all that time struggling with it.

Lol … You have actually learnt something, so it's fine! I am aware this does not solve your query, but may want to play around with this hidden gem “M365 Sandbox”: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Lol … You have actually learnt something, so it's fine! I am aware this does not solve your query, but may want to play around with this hidden gem “M365 Sandbox”: 

tks for sharing @Iams3le !

Comment