Question

Direct from Object Restores

Userlevel 1

In the blog post below it states the sources that support the backup of Direct to Object but do all of these also support the restore of the data Direct from Object without having to go through a Gateway server or Proxy?  Specifically when S3-compatible storage is being utilised.

• Virtual machines backup (VMware,HyperV,AHV...)
  • NAS backup
  • Backup copy
  • SQL, Oracle
  • Configuration backup
  • Veeam agent

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, you should be able to restore directly from Object if the repository you are using is just that.  I use Wasabi and do direct to object and I have done test restores without issue without having to go through a GW or Proxy.

I have tested all but the SQL, Oracle and Configuration Backups but will be testing Config Backups soon.  I don’t see these being an issue either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A backup proxy will be used to restore from Object if there is no gateway server defined.  If you do not have any proxies defined then the Veeam server will be used  to do the restore from object.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good to know the Restores are ‘direct’ as well. Thanks @Chris.Childerhose 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Good to know the Restores are ‘direct’ as well. Thanks @Chris.Childerhose 

Not a problem.  One of the many things I tested once v12 came out and I could use direct to object.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you should be able to restore directly from Object if the repository you are using is just that.  I use Wasabi and do direct to object and I have done test restores without issue without having to go through a GW or Proxy.

I have tested all but the SQL, Oracle and Configuration Backups but will be testing Config Backups soon.  I don’t see these being an issue either.

Mhh… I think the proxy on the VBR server is used in your case...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Mhh… I think the proxy on the VBR server is used in your case...

Very well could be.  I just know it works well. 😎

Comment