Solved

Data Flow in Veeam B&R

Userlevel 3
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 6 comments

Hi all,

I'm using Veeam B&R v11 and I have 1 Repository (HPE StoreOne) and 1 Tape (HPE MSL 3040). When data is transferred to StoreOne, the process is as follows: Source data -> Backup Proxy Server -> Backup Gateway -> HPE StoreOne.
I am confused about how the data is transferred to Tape. From source or from StoreOne?

Thanks/

Tunglh

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 5 July 2023, 18:44

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you are doing backup to tape jobs then it reads from the StoreOne to send data to tape as noted here - Step 3. Choose Backups to Archive - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Not from the source data typically as not to impact your production.

Userlevel 3

If you are doing backup to tape jobs then it reads from the StoreOne to send data to tape as noted here - Step 3. Choose Backups to Archive - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Thanks for your response. The data flow will be Source data -> Backup Proxy Server -> Backup Gateway -> HPE StoreOne -> Backup Server --> Tape Server --> Tape Library. Right?

I have a question about protocol, as follows:
- Source data -> Backup Proxy Server (Use only Ethernet?)
- Backup Proxy Server -> Backup Gateway (Depends on config: Can use Ethernet or FC?).
- Backup Gateway -> HPE StoreOne (Depends on config: Use Ethernet or FC?).
- Backup Server --> Tape Server (Depends on config: Can use Ethernet or FC?)
- Tape Server --> Tape Library (Use only FC?)

Regards/
Tunglh

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Thanks for your response. The data flow will be Source data -> Backup Proxy Server -> Backup Gateway -> HPE StoreOne -> Backup Server --> Tape Server --> Tape Library. Right?

- Backup Proxy Server -> Backup Gateway (Depends on config: Can use Ethernet or FC?).

Regards/
Tunglh

Yes that is the correct flow. The other protocol questions will depend on your configuration as you have noted.

Userlevel 3

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Regards/
Tunglh

Yes that is the correct flow. The other protocol questions will depend on your configuration as you have noted.

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

I can’t find a guide to config for Backup Proxy Server -> Backup Gateway (Use FC) and Backup Server --> Tape Server (Use FC). Do you give me some documents?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Backup Proxy to GW Server would typically go over the network not FC as that is a storage protocol.  The GW to Storage would be FC related.

Backup server to Tape server is the same using network but Tape server to Tape array could be FC connected.

Userlevel 3

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Thanks for your help.

Comment