Skip to main content

Hey guys, I have a question.

What kind of backup does veeam create, transactionally consistent or crash consistent backup? what is the difference between them? 

Both are possible with Veeam.

Application aware backups are transactional consistent. You will use them for applications like databases or exchange to be sure that the application is recoverable to a consistent state with all transactions in a defined status.

The “normal” snapshot backups are crash consistent. You will use them for all other systems and applications where it does not matter that every single action is in a defined status.

You can do (I assume vSphere Backup jobs)

• Crash consistent. This happens when do not enable VMware Tools Quiescence and Guest Processing.
  • Application Aware (incl. VSS). This happens when you enable Guest Processing. This is recommended by Veeam
  • “VSS Aware” and Disk Quiescence. When you just enable VMware Tools Quiescence.
  • Additional you can use freeze-only backups. These are Storage Snapshots-only backups without VMware Snapshots.

To simplify it even further

Crash Consistent = state of the machine at the time  when the VM was powered off e.g. Any data/transactions held in memory is/are lost

Transactional Consistent = Veeam instructs VM to commit data/transactions to disk, before taking the backup

?

https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-create-a-consistent-vm-backup.html 

This one is still relevant, even 7 years later..

I think everyone has covered it and that blog is still very relevant.

Comment