Question

Configure backup notifications for Veeam Agent Linux

Userlevel 2

I’m trying to figure out how to get notifications sent via email when a backup has been successfully/unsuccessfully completed.  It is on a Centos server.  I looked around in the Veeam settings by opening up veeamconfig ui, but cannot find anything in the Linux version about setting up email notifications like the Windows version allows you to do.  I have also looked into setting this up in crontab, but do not really know what to put in the script to send an email notification.

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So, you’re using Veeam Agent for Linux?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think think the only way to get notified like you want is to add your VAL backup job to your Veeam Server (assuming you have one; Comm Ed maybe?), create a backup job there and set the appropriate notifications.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And, I believe my interpretation is correct according to here and here in the VAL Guide. Only way to config notifications outside of using VBR is by scripts.

Userlevel 2

Yes, it’s the standalone free version Veeam Agent for Linux.  I had a feeling it would require a script.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah...only way aside from a script is via VBR

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could install the Veeam Community Edition and add the Linux agent to set up notifications if you prefer not using scripts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I mentioned above? 😉

Userlevel 2

You could install the Veeam Community Edition and add the Linux agent to set up notifications if you prefer not using scripts.

Hi Chris, this definitely sounds like a good option.  I did not even know that this was out there!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris, this definitely sounds like a good option.  I did not even know that this was out there!

Yes, and Shane mentioned that in his second reply to you as well.  😉

Comment