Cloud Credentials Expired

Userlevel 1

I was trying to restore an on-premise VM into Azure, which I had done many times before, and I got this error:

"Failed to process request: (Unauthorized). AADSTS7000215: Invalid client secret provided. Ensure the secret being sent in the request is the client secret value, not the client secret ID, for a secret added to app ..."

I thought there was something wrong with our Veeam Azure appliance, so inside of Veeam I tried to Edit the appliance or Rescan the appliance, and I kept getting a “Value cannot be null” error.

I opened a ticket with Veeam support and here is what I learned:

1. The Veeam Azure appliance has nothing to do with a restore from on-prem to Azure.  That is used for running Azure backups and for performing a backup copy from Azure to on-prem.
  2. In Veeam, go to Manage Cloud Credentials and edit your accounts.  I think they need to be edited once a year so that you can confirm your username and password again.  You can see the middle account I just edited and the bottom account I have not edited yet.
  3. When you get to this screen, click the link to Reconfigure Account.
  4. Sign into your Azure account.
  5. Then continue on to the last screen and click Finish. 

6. Do this for all of your Azure accounts that are more than a year since it was last updated.

You should now be able to perform your on-prem to Azure restore and edit and rescan your Veeam Azure appliance.  

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Interesting, I wasn't aware about this. 😎👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good to know. Thanks for sharing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I guess it is always good to update credentials more than a year old to ensure they still work.  Thanks for sharing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for sharing this. It’s very important. Cloud has its own challenges.

Comment