Question

Checkpoint orphan, safe to delete?

Userlevel 2

I cannot expand a VM disk since the system is blocking this operation as for existing checkpoints.

There’s no checkpoint within the chain in HyperV Manager, however some files exist on disk:

I wonder if these are only some orphans created by VBR Comm. Ed., and if these can be safely deleted

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you see the files in the Veeam Console? If so, and you don’t need them..meaning, they’re not part of a backup chain, you can delete them there. It’s always advisable to delete files from the Veeam Console.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do make sure they are not needed in Veeam before deleting them!

Userlevel 2

Unfortunately I can’t use the console! I have upgraded VBR to v 12, and as a result, the setup is ending with errors and I am stuck. I don’t know if the setup fails due to disk space limits (got 19GB free before installing, or for other reasons)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Then, to be honest, I wouldn’t mess with the files there until you get the issue with your upgrade sorted so you can use the VBR Console to see if those files are in use somewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Even though you’re using the VBR Comm Ed., you can still reach out to Veeam Support. They do provide support for free version, although it’s just a ‘best effort’ scenario.

Userlevel 2

I’ll try to debug why the setup is failing in the first place

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you able to move the VM to a new storage datastore in Hyper-V?  Maybe that will leave the orphaned files behind and allow you to remove things to clean them up as well as expand the disk?

Otherwise, I would do what Shane suggests getting in touch with Support.

Userlevel 2

Do you know how much space is required on disk to install V12?

Userlevel 2

I’ll try also this. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Do you know how much space is required on disk to install V12?

The application should be minimal and it will upgrade your current DB.  I would think no more than 5GB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Guide’s Sys Requirements notes VBR requires 5GB, as Chris has shared. Keep us posted!

Comment