Question

Catalyst store to tape backup not working

Userlevel 3

Hi, 

I am trying to create a backup to tape job. The source is a repository. The repository is a catalyst store (StoreOnce 3640). Although there are backup files on the catalyst store generated by an RMAN plugin job, The job is unable to read any full or incremental backup files and the job completes but doesn’t process anything. I can browse the store on the devices management interface and see the backup files. But it is not being detected on Veeam side. I’m using Veeam version 12. I’ve attached a screenshot.  Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sorry this is not supported, maybe in a future release. It was also discussed on the R&D forums: https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/backup-oracle-rman-veeam-plugin-jobs-to-tape-t81546.html#p457255

Userlevel 3

Thanks @haslund for the prompt response!. I understand you can not add an “RMAN plugin” job as a source for a backup. But my question is,  why are backup files not detected on the catalyst store if the source backup was initiated by an RMAN plugin job. To put this into perspective, I just created a normal VM backup job to another catalyst store. Then I created a “backup to tape” job and then added that store as a source. the backup files are detected just fine. I just wanted to know why this is so. 

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The plugin backup files are no regular Veeam backup files. Because of this no backups are found by a backup-to-tape job.
You can do a file-to-tape Job… This works without problems.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @JMeixner! Appreciate your response. 

Comment