Solved

Cannot Recover Accounts Password with KB4349 as DATA Key is not available

• 3 January 2024
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I want to recover one computer account password from Veeam B&R credentials, I followed the KB4349 article, but I was unable to locate the DATA key under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication to view the EncyptionSalt value. I didn’t found any article or guide for such case, can anyone guide me how to find the EncryptionSalt value if it is not available in registry?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 3 January 2024, 10:30

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, at a best effort guess I’d just confirm you’re doing this on the VBR server? If so and you’re 100% that you can’t find the key, I’d check under the WOW6432Node, aka HKLM\software\wow6432node\veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\Data

I don’t know why it would be there but potentially a legacy upgrade artifact. It’s the only other logical place I’d imagine it being

Userlevel 1

Hi, Thanks for your answer, I am sure that I checked the registry on VBR server itself not anywhere else and also sure that the key is not available on either paths of KB4349 and WOW6432Node.

I can confirm that we have upgrade VBR on this server from legacy versions in course of time to newer versions, and currently it is version 12 of VBR. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, if you’re on v12 and not v12.1 did you jump over to the relevant tab on the KB article? There’s a different PowerShell script you run instead of looking at a registry key.

Userlevel 1

Hello, Many thanks I didn’t noticed the tabs and solutions differs from version to version. the provided KB4349 solution for version 12 worked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad it’s sorted 🙂

Comment