Question

Cannot create SOBR - "Failed to save scale-out backup repository" when saving

• 13 October 2022
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 1

I am trying to make a second scale out repository (not overlapping with the first) and I keep getting the following message when trying to save it…

“Summary: Failed to save scale-out backup repository: F:\Backup Copy”

I got this message another time but pointing to a different directory, which linked to some orphaned backups. I deleted those in hopes this would fix it, but it just keeps throwing a different backup path each time. This specific one doesn’t even exist on my server under backup repos or disk backups (copies or orphaned), so I have no clue how to get past this.

When I check the logs, all I see is this…

[13.10.2022 17:08:05] <01> Error        Failed to save scale-out backup repository.
[13.10.2022 17:08:05] <01> Error        Failed to save scale-out backup repository:
[13.10.2022 17:08:05] <01> Error        F:\Backup Copy (System.Exception)
[13.10.2022 17:08:05] <01> Error           at Veeam.Backup.UI.Sobr.CSobrWizardCtx.SaveRepository(String& warning)
[13.10.2022 17:08:05] <01> Error           at Veeam.Backup.UI.Sobr.CSobrWizardCtx.TrySaveSobr(Exception& exc, String& warning)

How do I proceed with making my SOBR? Thanks in advance for any help.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry to say, please go ahead and open a support case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Aside from this, what version of VBR are you on?

Userlevel 1

Aside from this, what version of VBR are you on?

Build 11.0.1.1261 P20220302

I plan to as a next step but going through support to make a ticket is such as hassle, I figured I’d start here. Is asking for community help not what the forums are for?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Well, some problems are hard to diagnose without looking at the environment and having access to all logs.

Does any of your repositories or extents refer to F? Also click through the configuration of your repositories and check if the path is mentioned there; for example in the mount server section the cache folder. If not it could be something in the configuration database or any leftover metadata.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Chances that there is another repo with F:\ under SOBR.  or subfolder contents under F:\Backup copy are part of another sobr.  

One SMB share and another NFS extent also wont work

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@chetantikandar,

Can you post where you got such limitations from? These are not restrictions for Scale-Out Repository (especially the SMB/NFS part -- you can absolutely mix and match, just don’t recommend it). The current limitations are as per here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/limitations-for-sobr.html?ver=110

@StevenMSTech, regrettably a support case is probably the best way to go. I have a strong suspicion it’s about the spaces in the name which is not supported on SOBR, but when adding it will try to automatically correct this a bit, but in various edge-cases there is a chance it might not work, but it’s best to open a support case with the logs.

Reproduce the issue, note the date and time of the test, and export logs as per https://veeam.com/kb1832. Use the 3rd radio option and select the VBR server itself for export. This should be enough to start the investigation -- depending on the circumstances, some more information might be needed.

Userlevel 1

Hey everyone, the issue has been fixed with Veeam support, here’s what I did.

1. Troubleshooting step 1 with support was to re-scan all of the repos. This showed me that the repo with the problem joining a SOBR had a sync issue with one or more of my backup jobs. Unsure how to fix this at the time, I just removed some of the older backups from the jobs. This caused some re-seeding to be done unfortunately. I don’t know if this step was needed but that’s just what I did.
  2. Removing some old, in-question backups, the issue was still not fixed. I did a reboot of the server and still no luck. After putting down the issue for a week or so, I came back, randomly tried a re-scan of the repos again, and all synced up fine now. From there, I was able to make the SOBR successfully.

I don’t quite know what fixed it. Maybe there was an older backup that didn’t play nicely with SOBR and I just needed to get rid of it and re-seed, but I’m not 100% sure. The only thing I can provide to help anyone else reading this is to go to your repos, right-click, re-scan. See if any have issues as a first step.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for the article @ddomask . My comment was probably on some trials that I did and when it errored I didnt wish to continue troubleshooting at that time.

@StevenMSTech  thanks for updating the question with resolution.  Going by this, it looks like some backup chain was missing or old backup job was holding some information and probably it kept trying to reach out. Once the jobs were deleted and removed from cache, they helped with successful rescan.

I agree with you on timely rescans. Adding this step as part of maintenance :)

Comment