Question

Can we demote a Windows Server DC which sis running VBR Community Edition?

Userlevel 2

We are currently running VBR Comm. Ed. on a Windows server 2019 which is a DC. For security reasons we would like to demote this machine to a simple server.

Will this allow VBR ti run as usual after the change?

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

As Veeam don’t recommend installing VBR on a domain controller in the first place, you won’t find much experience on this scenario. The best thing to do is take a configuration backup of the server before you do this. Provided the server is only demoted and not removed from the domain, I can’t see that you’d encounter identity issues.

Let us know how it goes 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would take the advice above from Michael but be sure again not to install on a DC.  Best of luck 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

As @MicoolPaul said, take a config backup. 

Also, just to add, check which service account the Veeam services are running under and whether they may need their permissions updating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As @MicoolPaul said, take a config backup. 

Also, just to add, check which service account the Veeam services are running under and whether they may need their permissions updating. 

Good catch Dips on that one too as permissions could change.  👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Try to create a new machine and migrate to it this one to avoid any surprises 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Personally, I’d recommend building a new backup server and migrating the configuration database and removing VBR from the DC prior to the demotion.  I suspect you might be alright, but I see no reason to take the risk as easy as a migration to a new backup server can be completed.

Comment