Skip to main content
Solved

can't create USB from iso-file?

Hi.  I can't create a USB from the iso-file?

I’ve had rufus on my PC for many years, but it does not work with this file.  I also tried Seagate’s SEATOOL5 with the same negative result.

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well, first off..this is Veeam product based site, not a ‘general purpose’ tech forum site.

I have Rufus on my Win11 desktop & have no problems creating a bootable USB with it.

That said, what ISO are you trying to make bootable?

Userlevel 1

coolsport00:

'VeeamBackup&Replication_12.1.2.172_20240515.iso'

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ok...great. So, you don’t need to create a USB from that ISO. All you need to do is place it on your Windows system, double-click it and it’ll “unpack”. You can run setup.exe from this, or copy all files and paste in another directory, then run the setup file.

Does that help?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Ok...great. So, you don’t need to create a USB from that ISO. All you need to do is place it on your Windows system, double-click it and it’ll “unpack”. You can run setup.exe from this, or copy all files and paste in another directory, then run the setup file.

Does that help?

@ingber, i think that answer will help you… also, you can use the user guide to get more assitance.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/install_vbr_launch.html?ver=120

Userlevel 1

Sorry, this does not help.  Our (my wife’s and my) iso are showing as a VLC files, which clearly is incorrect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So @ingber  ....what is it you're trying to do?

Your computer's file association for ISOs is for the VLC program. Go into your computer file associations and remove it. You may have to Internet search on the exact process for that because doing so in Windows can be hit & miss. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

But again...the Veeam B&R ISO is not meant to be “bootable”. It is an installable packaged file. From a Veeam standpoint, what are you trying to achieve? Backup your local computer(s)? Other?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are trying to install Veeam, you just run the installer. No need to create an image of it. As coolsport said, it’s not a bootable image like Windows.

You will need to install it on Windows, but it sounds like you are trying to install it on your PC (guessing because of the file associations) . I’d recommend a new server or VM, even if it’s a test environment. 

Right click the ISO file, and mount it. Then you can open it up in Explorer and run the setup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, this sounds like you’re under the impressions that ISO files are only for creating bootable disks, whereas ISO’s are really just a compressed disk image, not all that dissimilar to a ZIP or RAR or TAR file.  Once you download the ISO to your machine, you should normally be able to just double click the ISO and Windows will mount it as a disk image, similar as a CD/DVD/USB drive as it’s really being used as a virtual removable storage device.  Since VLC seems to have taken over your file associations for ISO files, you’d need to change that.  Alternatively, you may be able to right click the image and select “mount” or “Open With” and select “Windows Explorer”.

As Shane requested, what are you attempting to do.  It appears that the ISO you’re trying to open is the VBR application utilized for setting up a backup server.  However, if you’re just trying to backup your desktop or workstation or something like that, you might be better served by downloading and installing the Veeam Agent for Windows.  VBR server does not back up the machine it’s running on, and is meant to backup other workstations, servers, virtual servers, etc.

Comment