Question

Best way to replicate Veeam Backup Repository Off-Site

• 14 September 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 1

Hi Everyone

Looking for an advice on the best way to keep backup repository data replicated to off-site for redundancy.

The setup is: 2x hardened Linux repositories each on Synology NAS.

At the moment the backups are copied using backup copy jobs, however it would not copy all of the backup data chain, just backups created after the creation of the backup copy job.

I would like to keep both repositories in full sync in case on of them is lost because of the disaster.

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Andrejs.Sokolovs - I’m not necessarily familiar with Synology functionality, but is there a function within your storage to do storage replication? You could replicated the underlying storage volume your backups are on to your offiste/secondary site Synology. 

Otherwise, I can’t think of any other way off hand to keep your backup files in sync other than via BCJ.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

The best option that I would recommend you is the backup copy, but you already did that.

I confess that I never saw a scenario with sync replication on the backup repository. Remember that Veeam needs to be the manager of the chain of all backup jobs.

So, in this case Veeam only would know the 1st repository. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @Andrejs.Sokolovs 

I guess you selected the below Mode:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Andrejs.Sokolovs 

How are the repo drives from Synology presented to the VMs?  If they are iSCSI or other, regardless of you can set up replication within the Synology system to replicate the LUN from your primary to the secondary.  Then in case of disaster you can map the copy to a new repo server and attach it then add the repo server to Veeam and rescan.

I use two Synology devices at home - DS920 and DS923+.  The 923 is my main unit but the LUNs I have replicating to my older DS920 as it has much larger space but is my backup in case the primary NAS goes down.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Andrejs.Sokolovs 

How are the repo drives from Synology presented to the VMs?  If they are iSCSI or other, regardless of you can set up replication within the Synology system to replicate the LUN from your primary to the secondary.  Then in case of disaster you can map the copy to a new repo server and attach it then add the repo server to Veeam and rescan.

I use two Synology devices at home - DS920 and DS923+.  The 923 is my main unit but the LUNs I have replicating to my older DS920 as it has much larger space but is my backup in case the primary NAS goes down.

Hope this helps.

These are mapped on Ubuntu 22.04 via iSCSI formatted as XFS. Are you using Snapshot Replication from Synology?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Andrejs.Sokolovs 

Hope this helps.

These are mapped on Ubuntu 22.04 via iSCSI formatted as XFS. Are you using Snapshot Replication from Synology?

Yes that is exactly what I am using and it works well.  I have even done some failover.

Comment