BCJ v12 - direct to object vrs VCC-B - discuss

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Saw discussions around this subject elsewhere, and thought it would be good to get the community’s thoughts around the subject.

WIth direct to object now possible in v12, would you continue to use/recommend BCJ leveraging Veeam Cloud Connect Backup repository (with Insider Protection) or would you switch to BCJ to off-prem object storage (leverage immutability).

Keen to hear peoples pros/cons.

Have at it

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think the VCC Insider protection is still useful with V12.

If an attacker gets the admin credentials for your on-premise or cloud object storage he can just delete the buckets - regardless of immutability. So, the Insider Protection gives an additional level of protection...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve always vouched for the level of isolation that VCC-B gives you. As people try to go cloud first with backups, at least using VCC-B + object storage lets you hit the 2 in the 3-2-1!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Working for an MSP I have to stay on the VCC-B path but we are trying to find ways to work in Object storage as well on our end to offer the best of both worlds to our customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

VCC-B is a different kind of service than a VBR standalone installation.
For a whole host of reasons, it is always better to have your BCJ v12 S3 direct, in combo with the VCC.
I quote @MicoolPaul 😋

To ensure greater security of restore I would make them go in combo.

As a colleague of mine used to say in 2000,' backups are never enough’!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ve always vouched for the level of isolation that VCC-B gives you. As people try to go cloud first with backups, at least using VCC-B + object storage lets you hit the 2 in the 3-2-1!

customers unlikely to pay for both, and likely want the cheapest, but as we know cheap != best …..well not all the time

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

customers unlikely to pay for both, and likely want the cheapest, but as we know cheap != best …..well not all the time

@Cragdoo Exactly!
Certainly it is a question of money.
But when it comes to data security and restoring your business, better to make an investment that ensures you don't have to pay a ransom or reinstall the whole infra from scratch. :O

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Personally I never really liked the insider protection feature, I always had some problems with the space consumed due to backup files remaining in the recycle bin due to chain expiration..in any case I always found immutability more useful, be it of the linux hardened repository or object storage!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you see the blog article be 11:11 Systems about this topic?

https://1111systems.com/blog/veeam-12-preview-veeam-cloud-connect-backup-vs-object-storage/

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

As being a service provider I have to promote VCC-B and will do.

It’s a more complete service you can offer. Also having the infrastructure on-premise, so the proximity is available which is my country very demanding!

Next to that I’m not a big fan of Insider Protection but I am using it also to have a more secure - immutable solution to the customer.

In my new VCC-B infrastructure (implemented this year) I will not using Insider Protection anymore, we will use regular storage and using the Capacity Tier with immutable object storage to another datacenter.

In that case, all backups of the customers are twice available on 2 different locations and totally immutable for the customer on both sides 😊😎. I love this technology, so for me version 11 was already the way to go like that.

Directly from the customer to cloud object storage can be a solution for cheap - less demanding immutable solution and not at the hyperscalers (API-costs and egress costs)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

https://1111systems.com/blog/veeam-12-preview-veeam-cloud-connect-backup-vs-object-storage/

best no I admit that I work for 11:11 systems and with Jim Jones, who wrote that blog post ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

best no I admit that I work for 11:11 systems and with Jim Jones, who wrote that blog post ;)

I was afraid that it is something like this 😎

At least I was able to check that you are not the author...

Comment