Question

Backups on-site, Backup-Copies on-site, Backups off-site, different retention how-to?

• 25 October 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Comes here often
  • 30 comments

Current setup.

I have a regular Veeam backup job. It backs up my VMs, keeping 15 copies.

I have a backup copy job, that copies the backups created above to the performance tier of my SOBR. This job has set as the retention policy: 2 restore points.

It also keeps 13 weekly, 13 monthly and 5 yearly backups.  The option ’Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments ’ is set

In my SOBR, I have the option set: 

• to Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created.
  • Move the backups to object storage as soon as they age out of the operational restore window: Move backups older than 1 days.

What this results in is:

• 15 backups in the backup repository from the regular backup job.
  • Up to 7 daily backups in the SOBR performance tier AND in the capacity tier. They get deleted as per Veeams retention-logic. But always a minimum of 2.
  • Weekly/Monthly/Yearly backups in the capacity tier

Now to my question:

The regular backup keeps 15 daily, the backup copy a minimum of 2. The daily backup in the backup repository from the regular veeam backup has the same content as the backup-copy daily backup that sits in the performace tier of the SOBR. It gets uploaded to the capacity tier almost immediately. 

Now what if I wanted to keep 15 daily backup from my regular backups, but then 30 daily backups in the SOBR, but not actually have them on on-prem in the performance tier but uploaded to the capacity tier. (I understand there’s meta data left behind, but it is much less than the actual backup).
Is this possible?
The reason for asking is that I don’t want 15 daily backups on my regular repository, AND have 30 daily backups on the SOBR performance tier, as 15 of them would be duplicates?

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @RonV! The retention in your SOBR is defined by the backup copy job. You'll have to configure this job to keep 30 restore points. The capacity tier move policy only applies to inactive backup chains. This means you'll have up to a weeks backups in the performance tier, while having at least 30 restore points in the capacity tier.

If you don't want to have any restore points at all in the performance tier, you could think about pointing the backup copy job directly to the object storage.

Userlevel 5
Badge

You'll have to configure this job to keep 30 restore points. The capacity tier move policy only applies to inactive backup chains. This means you'll have up to a weeks backups in the performance tier, while having at least 30 restore points in the capacity tier.

Yes, so then I have ‘double backups’? 7 (out of the 15 specified) in my regular backup job / repository and 7 in the performance tier?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, you're right, the 7 restore points of the current backup chain will be available in all the repositories.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @RonV -

I’m just following up on your retention post here. Was any of the provided comments helpful for your question? If so, we ask you mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit.

Thank you!

Comment