Solved

Backup SAP HANA High Availability

• 4 February 2022
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 2

We have a project study backup SAP and SAP HANA, High Availability from 2 Suse Hosts HA. As knew, the 2 Hosts each has local disk for store Database and log, and it work as Active and Standby Hosts. 

So my question is that when we installed Veeam Plug-in for SAP HANA for both hosts. Can Veeam support backup SAP HANA,HA from both hosts? 

If the SAP HANA, HA use VIP (Virtual IP) for access both hosts, can Veeam support backup from SAP HANA, HA using the VIP?

What will the database and log backup from HA Hosts? Will it keep only 1x copy (Database and log) from Active Host or keep duplicate from Active and Standby from both Hosts?

icon

Best answer by StefanZi 7 February 2022, 08:25

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The plugin itself does no backups. It provides a target for the backint data.

I have never worked with SAP HANA HA, but I think when you can utilize HA with backint, then it should be possible with the Veeam Plugin, too.

@falkob can perhaps add some practical insights to this topic.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

With the HANA Plug-In the backup will be pushed from the active HANA node to the repository via the backint interface.

Backint doesn’t know backups of replicas, so you’ll have one backup running from the active node and in case of failover you need to backup the other node again as active one.

Check out the Help Center about SAP HANA System Replication Failover.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@JMeixner I can’t really add more than @StefanZi  already provided. I guess the key fact here i, that backint doesn’t know (or care :D) about backups of replicas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok… Then I have an additional question:

Is it possible to access the backint restore points from the active server on the standby server? In case they have switched roles….

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Of course @JMeixner, check the Help Center link ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Of course @JMeixner, check the Help Center link ;-)

Oh my god… :joy::joy::joy: reading on my own…. :sunglasses:

Got me, didn’t read the Help Center document before asking….

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

How most of my Veeam support calls end … :-D

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How most of my Veeam support calls end … :-D

:joy::joy::joy: yes, you are so right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Be aware to have a speedy backup repo to backint directly on especially if your DB is huge.

If it’s not the case, i will suggest to you to do your backup on local disk (SSD) to ensure to meet your RPO/RTO then sanctify with Veeam (agents).

Comment