Solved

Backup problem with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows with VPN enabled

Userlevel 3
Good day,

I have been enthusiastically using "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows" for some time.

Now I have the problem that when I have activated my new Premium VPN from https://hide.me "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE" unfortunately aborts with an error message when creating a backup!

What exactly do I have to set or allow in the VPN app so that the backup still work with VPN enabled?

My system data & backup-media:

-Windows 11 Pro 23H2
-Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 6.1.0.349 - Free Edition
-Backup-medium: External 2.5-inch hard disk

Many thanks for any helpful answers!

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 10 January 2024, 14:26

View original

18 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Never seen this before. If you check the logs does it tell you anything about why the job aborts?

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

If it works without it then for the backup window can you not shut it off?

Userlevel 3

@Chris.Childerhose

Attached is a screenshot of the error message in the Veeam Agent for Windows.

Userlevel 4

As Chris has written: Please check the Veeam Logs. Maybe you can see more inside them.

Also check Windows Event Log.

Could you see anything blocked inside Hide.me VPN Client?

Userlevel 3
Enclosed 2 cell phone screen photos. I cannot find any current Veeam logs in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup.

The Windows Event Viewer shows the following:

Vom Prozess "D:\Software\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" (Prozess-ID: 1908) wurde das Richtlinienschema von "{381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}" auf "{381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}" zurückgesetzt.

Sorry ... I am not an expert on this & hope that this information will help to identify the cause of the problem. I'm not familiar with it & that's why I'm asking here.

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 3

I can't see anything blocked in the hide.me desktop app! For certain reasons, I would like to be able to use the Veeam backup even when the VPN is activated.

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Does it work with the VPN disabled? I know you said it worked before the VPN was installed/activated.

The log files may also be in %programdata%\Veeam\Endpoint

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @MichaSchu - the logs would be in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint . Look there to see if the logs show anything concrete. Can you back up your device when not running the VPN app at least? 

Userlevel 3

The Veeam Agent works perfectly without VPN!

In the folder: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint are some log files, which is the correct log file to analyze the problem or which I should upload here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This may well fix it. Do you have  Restrict VPN connections usage  checked? 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/settings_network_vpn.html?ver=60

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The "JobVeeamEndpointBackup.log" is what I would check. Also, attempt the changes Mark shared from the User Guide. 

Userlevel 3

@MarkBoothman

Nothing is highlighted in the network settings. See cell phone screenshot:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If it works with the VPN disabled then something within the VPN is blocking it?

https://hide.me/en/knowledgebase/how-to-split-a-vpn-tunnel/

Looking at their website it is possible to block and whitelist apps.

Userlevel 3

Unfortunately, as a newbie here in the forum, I don't know how to upload or present the 5.3 MB log file: "Job.VeeamEndpointBackup.log" here!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortunately, as a newbie here in the forum, I don't know how to upload or present the 5.3 MB log file: "Job.VeeamEndpointBackup.log" here!

Please don't upload it here as the community is not technical support. I would check the link Mark posted about whitelisting apps in the client.  Veeam is trying to check something but it cannot based on your first error screenshot.  So you need to determine how to whitelist the Veeam Agent or disable the VPN when doing your backup.

The other option is creating a support ticket to get assistance.  Another source is the Veeam Forums here - https://forums.veeam.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well...the VPN setting seems to just be a network throttle setting for VPNs; not really a setting to allow/disallow VPN tools. But, in the link Mark shared, Veeam does cover what appears to be supported VPNs? 

Your backup works, but with VPN it doesn’t...so as we all have guessed/stated, something with that tool is preventing operation of VAW. As Chris suggests, I’d open a support ticket. You can do so even with Free edition, altho it’s ‘best effort’ support. Forums really isn’t the place to post for support as PM Analysts have shared on here several times. If you have a support case opened, you “may” be able to post on the Forums , but still..PMs may be against it. Doesn’t hurt to try I guess tho. 

Userlevel 3

@coolsport00

@Chris.Childerhose

Thanks for the advice regarding https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/ & the possibility of submitting a support ticket.

I am now looking for a solution elsewhere, as recommended.

Many thanks to all who have tried to help me here!

Comment