Solved

Backup of User Profile disk(UPD) in RDS

Badge

There is File share server having volume X shared with RDS to keep the User Profile Disks (UPD). We want to backup the UPDs so planning to add the file share server in Veeam B&R as file server & create a backup job to backup volume X.

Question 1→ If a user is logged-in to session host, meaning the UPD (VHDx file) of that user is mounted from the file share server to session host & same time the backup job run to backup volume X. Will there be problem with the VHDx, which is mounted to session host?

Question2 → What is best way to backup File share server having UPDs of RDS ?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 11 March 2022, 14:47

View original

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @rkumar -

Well, you’re talking about a couple things here with regards to VHDX and File Shares. If you use VBR to back up the Volume youi’re using for File Share, you’re basically using SMB protocol through a NAS Backup job to back up the Share, so you’re not backing up the virtual disk. You’re backing up the files/folders on the disk through the OS. If you’re backing up the VM you have your file share disk (VHDX) connected to, you’re doing a full VM image backup, which then yes..does include any VM (VHDX) disk attached to it, including the VM disk you’re using for user profiles.

I actually just recommend reading through Veeam’s Helpcenter info on Hyper-V NAS Backup here to see how to configure & create NAS Backup jobs. It’s not too awful bad. I actually have 1 job (vSphere) in my environment myself. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh, and to answer your question specifically...no, there is no issue if people are actively using their file share while either doing a NAS backup or full VM image backup. VMs and/or Volumes are ‘stunned’ (snapshotted) before a backup is taken.

Cheers.

Comment