Skip to main content

Backup Copy job to rotating media is not deleting the previously made backup before starting a new one which makes it immediately fail due to not having space.

Retention is 2 restore point, repo space 900 gb

Need to manually delete the full backup files

Legacy mode, enabled this repo uses rotated drive option and continue existing backup chain

Not seen this in ver 11 , but after ugrade to ver 12.2 it is reported.

Vbr ver 12.2

Please advise

Did you happen to check the Forums to see if someone reported this?  If it was working in v11 then to me that is a bug in v12.2 possibly.

https://forums.veeam.com 

Did you happen to check the Forums to see if someone reported this?  If it was working in v11 then to me that is a bug in v12.2 possibly.

https://forums.veeam.com 

No I haven't checked 

Just want to know when will he  retention policy applied , first retention then backup starts or first backup and then retention 

There is a good explanation and diagrams here - How Repository with Rotated Drives Works - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Also note -

• Background retention doesn't apply to the backups stored on backup repositories with rotated drives. These backup files will not be deleted by the retention job.

Also note -

• Background retention doesn't apply to the backups stored on backup repositories with rotated drives. These backup files will not be deleted by the retention job.

So the retention policy set in my case 2 restore points will not work? 

Also note -

That is quite possible but I don’t use this option so cannot say for sure.  Check the other link above this one as it explains the retention and how it works.

Also note -

That is quite possible but I don’t use this option so cannot say for sure.  Check the other link above this one as it explains the retention and how it works.

Thanks. Can you give explanation on how the different option for rotated drive works on my case with 2 restore points with legacy backup mode . ( I have chosen first option, could be reason for drive space issue ?)

Continue an existing backup chain if present.

Delete backups belonging to this job.

Delete all backups on the drive.

Also note -

Thanks. Can you give explanation on how the different option for rotated drive works on my case with 2 restore points with legacy backup mode . ( I have chosen first option, could be reason for drive space issue ?)

Continue an existing backup chain if present.

Delete backups belonging to this job.

Delete all backups on the drive.

It is entirely possible due to having only 2 restore points that is causing space issue. Again I don't use the option so cannot fully confirm it is the case but more than likely.  Maybe a quick support ticket will help confirm your answer.

Comment