Solved

Backing up a remote server drive shared across a L2TP VPN.

Userlevel 2

I have installed Veeeam Backup V12 Community edition on a local Windows 10 PC.  I have a 4TB external USB drive connected to this machine that I intend to use as a backup repository.

The local machine uses a VPN connection to connect with a shared windows server 2019 drive located on a remote server. The connection is always on.

In my reading across various forums, Veeam seems to the the product of choice to accomplish this. The tutorials I have read thus far appear to target a much higher level of backup sophistication (VMs, Hyper* and whatnot). 

Can anyone please advise or point me in the right direction to accomplish this somewhat trivial task?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 23 March 2023, 16:08

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

First question before giving suggestions but what is the link speed from the Win10 machine to the remote server for backup?  This will then allow us to try and give you the best advice on setup and configuration.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the quick reply. Ping speeds to the server from the local machine are 84ms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think Chris meant the bandwidth of the connection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the quick reply. Ping speeds to the server from the local machine are 84ms.

Not referring to ping speeds.  What is the internet connection speed?  1GB? More?  That is what I meant so sorry for not explaining right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think Chris meant the bandwidth of the connection.

Yes this is what I meant should have used the word bandwidth.  😋

Userlevel 2

According to fast.com the wireless connection speed is 8.6Mbps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

According to fast.com the wireless connection speed is 8.6Mbps.

So if you are using wireless then your backup will take forever to come across your VPN.  That speed will require careful thought.  You may want to look at WAN Accelerators for this as it is a very low speed and not ideal for backing up across the internet.

Userlevel 2

I agree the speeds are slow across the VPN. I don’t expect huge amounts of data to come across it though. Can you suggest a WAN accelerator. I’ve never heard of such a thing before.

Userlevel 2

I also note from reading the forums that Ent+ edition is required to use WAN accelerators. Is that correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes that is true about the licensing.  I would suggest setting up and testing it.  See how things run and what speeds you and how long backups take.  Go from there.

Userlevel 2

Chris by “setting up and testing” do you mean continue testing with community edition or enterprise Plus?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Chris by “setting up and testing” do you mean continue testing with community edition or enterprise Plus?

Thanks

With the CE edition.  See how things go and take it from there.  If things are not meeting your SLA or requirements, you may need to look at upgrading the license to get the WAN Accelerators.

Comment