Solved

AWS Tape Backup Restore to AWS ec2

Userlevel 2

Hi, 

I am new to Veeam, I am trying to restore my already backedup  VM to AWS ec2. I did following test run

TestVM  backup >  Tape BackupAWS tape Gateway > Sucesss 

Restore from backup > VM Restore > Restore to EC2 > Failed

Restore job failed Error: File does not exist. File: []. Failed to open storage for read access. Storage: []. Cannot open a local backup for the file level restore. Storages: [AWS-TEST-RUND2022-03-23T101007_BE57.vbk]. Agent failed to process method {Mount.QueryOsInfo}.

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 23 March 2022, 08:49

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @chandrasinghe, based on the detail provided is this an AWS VTL you’re trying to recover from, to AWS EC2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I assume this is a virtual tape library. You have to copy the files from the tape repository to a disk repository in Veeam before restoring the data.

This is a restriction with Veeam. But for file-level-restore the VBK file has to be mounted and examined, this is not possible from a tape repo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@JMeixner is right here, my question around the VTL was focused on giving you a better way forward if you’re using this, you could move to object storage to overcome tape limitations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@JMeixner is right here, my question around the VTL was focused on giving you a better way forward if you’re using this, you could move to object storage to overcome tape limitations.

I am a fan of physical tape, but in this case when using AWS I would use object storage, too.

Userlevel 2

Sorry for late response

Seems Tape backup wont help immeadiate disaster recovery

Veeam offer D1(VM virtual disk) to D2 (Veeam local backup) to T (AWS Virtual Tape)

If I need recover  I shoud reverse  it. ok 👌 

AWS Tape to D1 to D2

Can I use this D1 as AWS S3 or EBS via Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would use a scale-out repository with object storage as capacity tier….

Userlevel 2

Can we copy backup jobs to AWS S3 bucket on by One. Could some one help me to find proper documentation

Userlevel 2

Hi Community,

Thank you all for guide me.  😀 I have tested backup offload to AWS S3 and Restore to Ec2. Then I got this error while restoring Ubuntu VM.

Comment