Question

Asynchronous request operation failed with synology SMB backup target

Badge

I have been having issues with the local file server/storage which is a Synology device running their latest up to date OS.

I recently enabled SMB multichannel and Asyncronous read on the Synology. Unfortunately, my backups have started failing across multiple devices:

4/1/2024 12:32:10 PM :: Error: The network is busy. Asynchronous request operation has failed. [readsize = 4202496] [offset = 8585379840] Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{04776693-5fd2-4b58-8adb-2a31e1e3d68e}]. CHMOD mask: [255]. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText} 

While I understand I can disable the feature and NOT have SMB multichannel on, it’s been great and beneficial. I’d much prefer I was able to support and take advantage here.

Is this something I can address in some way? This is using the Veeam agent.

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

if it works with it off then I would leave it off and contact Support to open a ticket to see if they can explain why when turned on it starts failing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @tastyratz ,

I’ve found this interesting video: 

Maybe you have to verify your Veeam Backup Server and Proxy configuration

Badge

Hi @tastyratz ,

I’ve found this interesting video: 

Maybe you have to verify your Veeam Backup Server and Proxy configuration

Thanks! That looks like a great video/tutorial.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t -quite- apply to me here.

I’m not using B&R, I’m using the windows agents with their own managed jobs to backup directly to the Synology.

I’m also using this to backup important physical machines so I can’t configure multiple nic’s and vmxnets.

That means in essence the devices with the error should only ever be communicating out over a single nic. It’s not optimized for them to maximize throughput so I am less worried about multiple nic’s for example.

Sadly, I have to disable multichannel on the Synology across the board where it helps in other areas to allow these physical agent backups to complete.

Comment