Solved

Are Folder exclusions in NAS file share backup jobs case sensitive?

• 17 January 2024
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Comes here often
  • 21 comments

Are Folder exclusions in NAS file share backup jobs case sensitive?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 17 January 2024, 16:12

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Kind of @Arin . Masks are case-sensitive. You can read on how to successfully have inclusions/exclusions from the Guide here.

Userlevel 5
Badge

And file exclusions also I assume? I am unable to enter Both .exe and .EXE in the exclusions list. Veeam prompt says one already exists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That is correct. When adding inclusions and exclusions, Veeam uses “masks”. As noted in the blue NOTE section from the link I shared above, those are indeed case-sensitive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So if you wanted to exclude all files with the exe extension, you’d enter *.exe ; if you have any file names with the exe in caps (EXE), you should also be able to enter *.EXE. You’re getting the error ‘already exists’ when entering each one? I wonder if the the wildcard/extension mask is an exception (as it appears to be) and Veeam didn’t put this exception in the Guide instructions. 

Are you seeing 1 of the extension case being backed up while the excluded one you have is not?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The only way to find out for sure, since it appears you are getting that behavior is to reach out to Support, since more clarification is needed from what the Guide is telling us. You may be able to ping the PMs in the forums, but I think this may best be addressed with Support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Arin -

I think I provided you with sufficient info on what Veeam’s case sensitivity states, altho when adding the mask syntax you’re wanting to add seems to go against what their Guide states. Did you verify the behavior with Support? 

Comment