Solved

Agent Backup of Windows Machines on Network with Veeam B&R 12.1 CE

Userlevel 4

Hi, I am trying to backup the Windows PC’s on my LAN using Agent backup and am having the same issue as the person on this post:

https://forums.veeam.com/servers-workstations-f49/creating-new-backup-in-protection-group-issue-t79935.html

I have read the issue several times and I don’t think I understand the terminology being used. And I have successfully installed Agent on my Windows machine and executed the command to connect to B&R.  I also see the machine on B&R.

Ideally, I would like to schedule backup jobs for this machine and also be able to run adhoc backups using the B&R console.

Is this possible?

Thank you, Hammer

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 31 March 2024, 18:16

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You want to go in to the Inventory tab with the VBR console to create the protection group and add your agent.

Check here for details - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/protection_groups.html?ver=120

Userlevel 4

Hi, thank you.  I think I have it working…B&R is now installing agents on my clients, rebooting etc.  Appreciate your help!  However, I am noticing two issues:

1. for one of my windows pc, B&R is not able to connect to it because it is not resolving the host name.  Does B&R use the Windows host file?  Not sure why this machine is different than the others…
  2. if a machine is turn off or sleeping during the designated backup time, B&R does not wake it for backup.  There is also not option to start a backup if it misses a backup when it wakes.  I recall there is such an option for agent managed backups.  

Are there workarounds for these two issues?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The VBR server uses DNS if domain based otherwise you may need to put something in the hosts files.

VBR should have a setting to wake the PC but if the power settings don't allow it then it will not. There is also the backup cache you can look at where Veeam will store backups until it can reach the backup repository to send the files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

After doing some reading it looks like the wake settings are not there for managed agents nor the cache settings.  That is self managed agents.  I do know the backups run the next time the PC is turned on if missed as I have my laptop set that way.

Userlevel 4

Thank you.  And as an update in case anyone else has the same issue.  The hosts file enabled B&R to connect to the machine.  However, B&R was still not able to install Agent because it could not access ADMIN$.  This required a registry entry per:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/cannot-logon-access-administrative-share

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad to hear things worked out and you got it working.  Thanks for sharing the registry workaround as well.

Be sure to mark one of the posts that answered your question the most as the answer so others will be aware.

Comment