Question

Agent (and installation) silently fails on Windows 7 SP1

Userlevel 1

Hei, 

I’m trying to understand a mysterious problem with Veeam Agent on Windows 7 SP 1. 

The system is relatively old and backed up occasionally on request only. The last backup is about two years old. When I tried start Veeam Agent today (version was ~2019ish), no window appeared. Not even the icon in the task bar showed up. I decided to uninstall the old version and went for 6.0.2.1090. However, this time the installer (even when run as administrators) doesn’t do anything. No error messages, no exception - nothing. 

When clicked, the hourglass shows up for a couple of seconds, but then it’s gone. 
Even at its age, the system is running fine. 

Do you know how I could get a handle on this? Does the installer log anything? 

Thanks, Frank 

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did you try rebooting and making sure windows is fully patched?  There should be some logs in the following folder - C:\ProgramData\Veeam -- then a subfolder under here.   You might find some details here for the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmmm...wondering if the old version didn’t fully get uninstalled? Maybe look in the install location at: %ProgramFiles%\Veeam\Endpoint Backup and manually delete. Maybe look in Registry as well for any leftover pieces, then re-attempt.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Also to add, worth checking your Windows Event Logs to see if anything is logged in there that might shed a light on the issue.

Let us know how you get on @frank.nord 

Comment