Skip to main content
Question

Add esxi host in veeam

Hello,
I cannot add an esxi host on veeam with each operation I get the error No connection could be established because the target computer expressly refused it.
NB: I can connect to my esxi host via web using the default port.

Thanks

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It’s generally best practice to add your vCenter Server to Veeam, and not the ESXi Host directly. Do you use vCenter? If you use the free ESXi version in a small environment, keep in mind Veeam doesn’t support it.

If you use vCenter...can you attempt to connect it instead of the ESXi Host directly?

If you do only have ESXi, and it’s not the free version, make sure you’re using the root account to authenticate it with Veeam.

Userlevel 1

It’s generally best practice to add your vCenter Server to Veeam, and not the ESXi Host directly. Do you use vCenter? If you use the free ESXi version in a small environment, keep in mind Veeam doesn’t support it.

If you use vCenter...can you attempt to connect it instead of the ESXi Host directly?

Hi,
thank you for your reply.
I have a small infrastructure of 2 esxi version 7 hosts but no vcenter. on the other hand my esxi have a license

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ok, make sure you aren’t using the port VBR uses to connect with the Host, which I think is 902. Maybe restart your VBR server, then re-attempt to add the Host again and see if it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello,
I cannot add an esxi host on veeam with each operation I get the error No connection could be established because the target computer expressly refused it.
NB: I can connect to my esxi host via web using the default port.

Thanks

hi @Setra ANDRIAMPARAMALALA 
can you post the exact error it proposes during the wizard?
To add esxi host do you use IP or fqdn name?
Does the Veeam server resolve from DNS the host name or fqdn ?

From veeam is the firewall up ?
thanks

Userlevel 3

Ports or DNS is usually the culprit. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

This could be an port issue.

Open an Powershell on VBR and type:
Test-NetConnection -ComputerName esxi.domain -port 443
Test-NetConnection -ComputerName esxi.domain -port 902

Are these connections successfull? Is ways back (esxi to vbr without firewall?)

What Version of ESXi and VBR are you using? Maybe they are not compatible

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Setra ANDRIAMPARAMALALA -

Are you still having issues? If so, any other info you can provide? If not, and one of the provided comments helped you out, please mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar issue who come across your post my benefit.

Thank you.

Comment