30 years of Linux! 🎉

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

30 years that one simple e-mail change the world:

So many years passed since Linus Torvalds start a project that impact our life until now a days.

Now, just let me know!

• Did you use Linux on your IT projects?
  • How distribution do you preffer?
  • How long are you a use of Linux?

Let’s going to talk in comments!

Long life to Linux!

🎊🎈🐧

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Linux is slowly becoming more mainstream.  We use it for many things in our infrastructure and most recently Veeam for XFS Hardened Repos and Proxy servers.

We typically use Ubuntu but do have many CentOS deploy as well as a few RHEL 7.9 for another solution we are working on.

I have used Linux on and off mainly with VMware but now working with this new solution getting a bit better at it.  No expert but learning has been fun. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Used Linux in many customer enviroments. As server systems and client systens.

Like to script on Linux, too. 😎👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

At my company we rarely use Linux, the largest part of our customers are exclusively using Windows. Our system engineers are no experts at Linux...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Although I mainly work with Windows, I try to use as much Linux on my private devices as possible. I only boot Windows for gaming or working; the VMware Horizon Client just diesnt work as good with Linux as with Windows.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Good to know how it started! Have rarely used Linux professionally. In order not to lose my skills, I have two different distros running in my Lab env :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks to Mr. Torvalds for giving us this gift! 

I use it more often with Veeam v11. Mostly Ubuntu or RedHat.

… also looks cooler than Windo(w)s :joy:

Userlevel 1

Since it’s inception, Linux has been the go to OS for many enterprise applications and deployments. I’ve had the opportunity to deploy and use Linux in both our own environment and also in customer environments. It is leveraged heavily for web-based applications in our organization and as @Chris.Childerhose mentioned in deploying the new Veeam XFS repositories and proxies for our managed BaaS customers and internal systems.

Recently, the team has started leveraging Linux for some internal IT projects as the database servers. There is a lot of work being done modernizing our billing and quoting engines. That whole business unit will be running on a stack powered by Linux (a mixture of CentOS and Ubuntu). Almost all of our internal software development shop is running applications and also their desktops are Linux-based.

I’ve been using Linux periodically during the last 14 odd years. Not an expert by any means but an avid supporter and cheerleader of the OS and its multiple distros.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I started using Linux in 1997 :) Have used it at home ever since. Well I did go into the BSD’s for a while, mainly FreeBSD but even had the ultra secure OpenBSD running too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello,

I’m more from linux world than windows :grin:

• Did you use Linux on your IT projects? 95% of our projects are running on linux
  • How distribution do you preffer? tough question, i prefer rhel stream and suse stream for companies specially if you have support. I use debian fork in sandbox for pentest and science purpose.
  • How long are you a use of Linux? 15years
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Anyone ever venture into the “cool folks” realm of Slackware? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Anyone ever venture into the “cool folks” realm of Slackware? 

Oh noh! :runner:

Comment