NightOwl: The risk of not maintaining your installed applications

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Don’t know if anyone saw this already, but a previously legitimate application was turned malicious after the product was acquired by another firm.

Before “Night Shift” existed on macOS, there was no way to automatically change to a ‘dark mode’ based on a time of day. So an app was created by a third-party developer, the app was called ‘NightOwl’. A couple of years ago, Apple released this functionality natively into the macOS platform, negating the need for this app.

Most people ended up just using the native features, but some people didn’t remove the app.

Fast forward to earlier this year and NightOwl gets purchased by another company. That company then pushed out an update to ‘monetise’ NightOwl, installing a local HTTP proxy under the misleading name ‘AutoUpdate’ and forcing its web traffic to third parties. The NightOwl Terms of Use page contained a small footnote describing their integration of the SDK to enable this feature, but with no opt-in or opt-out available, the app has been described as nothing more than malware these days, with scripted commands required to fix the routing of web traffic back to the device’s default routes.

In this scenario, the app signing certificate has been revoked, and the app isn’t available in the App Store, but it highlights once again the importance of chain of trust that takes place in using software. Even if you validated the chain once, be sure to periodically review if you need the software, and if it’s still performing only the tasks you ask of it…

Alt Text: Image of the nightowlapp homepage as of 31/08/2023 - A banner reads “We want to address recent claims that NightOwl contains malware. We want to assure you that these claims are inaccurate and false. Our app does not contain any form of malware. The concerns raised are based on a mistaken identification, and we are actively working with all major antivirus companies to rectify this situation promptly.

Your security and trust are of utmost importance to us. We kindly ask for your patience as we address this matter with the necessary parties. Thank you for your understanding.”
Alt Text: The updated Terms of Use as of 31/08/2023

For more details see this article:

This Mac Utility Is Now Malware (howtogeek.com)

And of course, credit to the web developer who first discovered this, Taylor Robinson: Uninstall the Nightowl App, now. (robins.one)

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve seen this sort of thing happen with I believe website or something along those lines, but I’m not sure I’ve seen it happen with applications specifically.  That said, it’s a small step to showing that Mac’s are not immune to everything like they one claimed that they were.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Didn’t know this...since we are a MAC org (school district), I will let my co-workers know. Thanks for sharing Michael. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting to see how MACs are not fully immune as once thought.  Thanks for sharing this was interesting to read.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Interesting to see how MACs are not fully immune as once thought.  Thanks for sharing this was interesting to read.

This was just an joke from an ad! They should keep hallucinating. Mac aren’t targeted as much as Windows OS, this is just the difference. But Apple has never deemed it fit to address this folly.

Comment