VMware Certified Professional DCV 2021 Study Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

For my first Veeam Community post, I thought I would share with you all something I’ve been doing for over a decade - an exam prep Study Guide; this one being for VMware VCP-DCV 2021. For those who haven’t followed me over the years, I started creating these “outlines”, i.e. Study Guides, for my own benefit to help me with tech cert exam prep. I then thought others in the community may benefit using them, so I decided to share them online. I generally post them on Twitter, so if you’d like to follow me, you can do so from here.

When reviewing the VMware ‘Blueprint’ for the DCV 2021 exam as compared to the 2020 exam, I was initially overwhelmed by the additional content for 2021. As I dove deeper into the 2021 exam Objectives, it turns out a lot of them were similar to what was asked to know for the 2020 exam, so it wasn’t too bad to review. As with most of my Guides, I enjoyed learning about the new tech VMware implemented with vSphere 7 - e.g. Identity Federation & Lifecycle Manager; and some which has been around a couple yrs, but I just became aware of - Instant Clone.

After creating the Guide, I took an extra week or so to finalize my studies for the VCP-DCV exam and I thankfully passed. As with all previous VMware VCP-DCV exams, it consists of 70 questions and is overall 130 minutes long, but my guess is if you’ve used vSphere a while, you won’t need more than an hour… 40 minutes for the first round of answering the questions, then another 20 minutes to review and, if needed, change answers to any questions you feel are necessary. And, as of last year, one change with the exam process I like is having the ability to take it online. I personally don’t mind sometimes going to a facility to have less destractions, but generally like the convenience of at-home test-taking for the lesser advanced exams. 

So, without further ado, here is the Guide. Click here to download it. As with other Guides I’ve shared with the community, all I ask is if you share this with other folks directly or on social media, just please give the author credit. All the best in your studies!

34 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Really great guide if you are looking to update your VMware VCP. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great guide, thank you.

Is the VMWare course mandatory or optional before taking the exam?

Or is it mandatory for the first time you take an exam only? E.g. version 2020 with course and version 2021 without course...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

The Course is mandatory if you’ve never taken the Course before. But, as long as you don’t let your cert expire, you don’t need it. I haven’t had to take the Course in over 10yrs. If you let your cert expire, after a certain amount of time, the Course will be required again, but I’m not sure of the definitive timeframe. So for example, if you took the Course for the 2020 DCV exam, and passed the 2020 DCV exam, then you take and pass the 2021 DCV exam, you do not need to additionally take the 2021 Course. Hope that helps. I recommend taking the time to review VMware’s certification page, since they changed some things a couple years ago, to be sure on what you need and when:
https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification.html

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@JMeixner if you check out https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vcp-dcv.html it gives you a nice and customised path for you depending on experience. You HAVE to have done at least one course for a VCP tier exam. But once you’re at the VCP tier you can cross certify. For example I did the VCP-DTM training and exam, but once I had that VCP I then could certify for VCP-DCV without doing another training course (though it’s recommended)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @coolsport00  and @MicoolPaul ,
yes, I have read this page and saw the course as mandatory but had not seen if it is mandatory each time.

Thanks for clarification.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Whoaaa!

153 pages of goodness! :heart_eyes:

That’s awesome, @coolsport00! Thank you for sharing this with community :sparkles:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes...one of the longest I’ve done, I think. Glad to provide it for the community! :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for also sharing your study guide here @coolsport00. As always a great study source :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great stuff, thanks for sharing @coolsport00 !

Despite the amount of pages, it isa relatively handy study guide and reference book!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just to say as well, thanks for sharing @coolsport00 I actually used your one last year to finally cross certify into VCP-DCV (did the DTM track originally)!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Happy to share, and glad it helped you!

Userlevel 2

Thanks you, good job ! ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@elchafik no problem. Hope you find it useful!

Cheers! 

Userlevel 3

The Course is mandatory if you’ve never taken the Course before. But, as long as you don’t let your cert expire, you don’t need it. I haven’t had to take the Course in over 10yrs. If you let your cert expire, after a certain amount of time, the Course will be required again, but I’m not sure of the definitive timeframe. So for example, if you took the Course for the 2020 DCV exam, and passed the 2020 DCV exam, then you take and pass the 2021 DCV exam, you do not need to additionally take the 2021 Course. Hope that helps. I recommend taking the time to review VMware’s certification page, since they changed some things a couple years ago, to be sure on what you need and when:
https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification.html

Cheers.

thanks

Userlevel 3

thank you 

Userlevel 2

@elchafik no problem. Hope you find it useful!

Cheers! 

Thanks ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You all are quite welcome. Hope you find it useful for your studies.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

thanks for sharing @coolsport00 !

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Glad to @Eddie Kwok

Cheers! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Amazing, Thanks a Lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You bet @eprieto ...hope it helps you!
Cheers!

@coolsport00 First let me say THANK YOU for taking the time to make such a study guide, it is so much appreciated.

I bought the official cert guide, but i find that book so hard to read. Is it enough to study this guide to pass the VCP-DCV exam ? I’m also watching the entire CBT Nuggets course for VCP-DCV

Many thanks,

Seb

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Seb -

Thank you for your kind words. To answer your question, nothing takes the place of both the official VMware User Guides as well as experience using the products. My Guide certainly helps, but is not enough alone to pass the exam.

All the best on your exam!

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I'll have to renew my VCP this year as I plan to finally approach the VCAP; looks like I'm too much behind with my VCP 2019 🙈

So thanks again @coolsport00 for your guide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Glad to provide. Hope it helps @regnor

All the best on your exam. 

Cheers! 

Comment