VMCE 2021 Released!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone else was aware but @haslund highlighted to me today that the new VMCE 2021 exam is now available for everyone looking to take/upgrade!

Information on the training course is available here

Information on the certification is available here

FAQs:

Do I need to attend the training course before taking the exam?

If you don’t hold a valid VMCE 2020 certification, it is mandatory.

If you do have a VMCE 2020 certification, it is recommended but not required.

The one exception is if you took the VMCE 2020 class within the last year but have not passed the exam, you can take the VMCE 2021 exam until your class was sat one year ago.

Can I still take the VMCE 2020 exam?

Whilst Veeam continue to offer it, but it will be discontinued.

Do I need to take the VMCE to do the VMCA?

No, but it is recommended!

Full FAQs from Veeam available here

Planning on doing your VMCE/VMCA, or already taken it? Let me know your thoughts!

59 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Will hopefully get it done before Winter. Gonna take a lil break over the summer/early Fall (with probably a lil studying). Great news though!
Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Let's get the learning started 😅

It's probably the best to do it as soon as possible without any pressure. I'm not sure on this but do partners need to stay current on every exam/year?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@regnor ...no; according to Rasmus it’s only required for Veeam trainers. That being said, if you don’t hold at least the previous yr exam, you must re-sit the (new) VMCE course.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Time to get studying more so I can sit the VMCE2020 before Oct 31st.  Don’t want to have to take the class again for 2021.  Nice to also see the VMCA2022 is coming later this year as well so will use VMCE study to help with this one also and upgrade my current VMCAv1.  :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As a VASP it’s important for myself and my colleagues to stay current for our accreditation status. There’s less pressure otherwise though I believe some ProPartner statuses require a certain level of certification but I don’t know how fast the upgrades have to be done @regnor, then as @coolsport00 said, if you don’t upgrade before VMCE 2022 comes out, you’ll have be required to attend the VMCE training prior to certification again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Time to get studying more so I can sit the VMCE2020 before Oct 31st.  Don’t want to have to take the class again for 2021.  Nice to also see the VMCA2022 is coming later this year as well so will use VMCE study to help with this one also and upgrade my current VMCAv1.  :joy:

Dreading doing the VMCA 2022! I found the VMCAv1 a good exam, but you never know what it may hold…

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Dreading doing the VMCA 2022! I found the VMCAv1 a good exam, but you never know what it may hold…

Yeah the VMCAv1 was a good one.  Loved studying the formulas, etc.  Looking forward to this one when it comes to upgrade.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good one !

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh no, studying again… My VMCE 2020 exam is only +/- 6 months ago. Takes again a lot of time and planning ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It does, but at least we have several mos :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@coolsport00@MicoolPaul at least I had to update my VMCE last year to VMCE2020 because of our partner status.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@coolsport00@MicoolPaulat least I had to update my VMCE last year to VMCE2020 because of our partner status.

I am in the same boat and need to get moving LOL.  Time to study and take the exam maybe in July or later this month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Chris.Childerhose @coolsport00 @regnor @MicoolPaul , I needed to renew my VMCE 9 certificate to VMCE 2020 last year because of my companies partner status. I have some colleagues who have also a VMCE 9 but did not upgrade (a little bit scared after the first time ;-)). If I read the FAQs correctly it seems that only a VMCE 2020 is available to take the exam of VMCE 2021. So directly taking the exam from VMCE 9.5 to 2021 will not be possible? So first take exam VMCE 2020 before 31/10/2021. Am I correct?

Do you know guys if a yearly exam (re-certification) will be necessary as a partner? Isn’t that a bit too much? A lot of engineers are now already complaining for some 2-yearly certifications (like Vmware). What is your opinion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes @Nico Losschaert ..that is correct. To this point, yes, a yearly exam is required. And yes, we all for the most part think it’s too much. Rasmus is aware and is sharing concerns with the program lead (Simon Yarwood).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx for your feedback @coolsport00 ! 2-yearly is in my opinion correct, a lot changes these days so to have a valid certificate it needs to be renewed. But yearly is a bit too much I think… I agree.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yeah..some think even 2yr is too soon. I for one do not. Software changes so much in that timeframe, I see the need to at least renew every 2yrs. I don’t have the problem all you partner folks have. Yearly I can do, but I don’t like it, and think it’s too often to renew.

Cheers bud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I also think that yearly is too much as this means as soon as you achieve the exam you start learning again.

2-years are OK but I don't like the fact that after a certificate expires that you need to take a mandatory training again. I'm glad that VMware stopped doing this with the VCP as it was always quite stressing; I always was afraid that I would have to visit the ICM course again...

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Officially, the cert you achieve doesn’t expire. But, the validity of it as far as Veeam is concerned with course & exam requirements does obviously.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah I am onboard with the 2-year plan as typically going from one version to the next is not a huge change, but going two versions up there is normally a much bigger change set.  Let’s hope we get two year versus the one but looking forward to doing VMCE2020, then 2021 and finally the VMCA2022. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Childerhose @coolsport00 @regnor @MicoolPaul , I needed to renew my VMCE 9 certificate to VMCE 2020 last year because of my companies partner status. I have some colleagues who have also a VMCE 9 but did not upgrade (a little bit scared after the first time ;-)). If I read the FAQs correctly it seems that only a VMCE 2020 is available to take the exam of VMCE 2021. So directly taking the exam from VMCE 9.5 to 2021 will not be possible? So first take exam VMCE 2020 before 31/10/2021. Am I correct?

Do you know guys if a yearly exam (re-certification) will be necessary as a partner? Isn’t that a bit too much? A lot of engineers are now already complaining for some 2-yearly certifications (like Vmware). What is your opinion?

I think for a partner it’s important to not be more than one certification behind, it can feel laborious at times but I think if they let you pass either every other or even just a 3 month grace to leap frog after next version available (so if you had 9.5, didn’t do 2020, you only get 3 months to do 2021) as an example. For internal staff or hobbyist people I understand it’s more difficult

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Generally speaking, with all the tech that’s out there, if we wanna stay relevant, I think we can all agree all the tech certs are a bear to keep up to speed on. :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Generally speaking, with all the tech that’s out there, if we wanna stay relevant, I think we can all agree all the tech certs are a bear to keep up to speed on. :joy:

They absolutely are Shane.  I have Veeam plus VMware that I am needing to do this year with expansion on the VMware ones to get things like the VCIX and the NV ones.  But if I do I get some compensation so that does not hurt. LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Childerhose @coolsport00 @regnor @MicoolPaul , I needed to renew my VMCE 9 certificate to VMCE 2020 last year because of my companies partner status. I have some colleagues who have also a VMCE 9 but did not upgrade (a little bit scared after the first time ;-)). If I read the FAQs correctly it seems that only a VMCE 2020 is available to take the exam of VMCE 2021. So directly taking the exam from VMCE 9.5 to 2021 will not be possible? So first take exam VMCE 2020 before 31/10/2021. Am I correct?

I think for a partner it’s important to not be more than one certification behind, it can feel laborious at times but I think if they let you pass either every other or even just a 3 month grace to leap frog after next version available (so if you had 9.5, didn’t do 2020, you only get 3 months to do 2021) as an example. For internal staff or hobbyist people I understand it’s more difficult

Yeah have a grace period would be nice where you can as you said leap frog one version to the most current.  Like now for example VMCEv9 to VMCE2021 and bypass 2020.  Either way I will be doing both along with VMCA2022 when it comes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Last year, between Jan and May, I took 6 total certs - Veeam, AWS x 2, Azure x2, and VMware. That sucked. The only reward I get for mine is my own satisfaction that I passed 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I booked my first Veeam course ever (VMCE) a few days ago. So I guess the first Veeam certification I will take is this one :joy:

Comment