[v12 Let's See - Backup Directly to Object Storage]

Show first post

36 comments

Userlevel 2

I’m currently using an Exagrid appliance as my backup repository. Can the “Direct Backup to Object Storage” be configured to auto-start as soon as the corresponding backup job completes?

I’m going to use AWS Glacier Deep Archive.

Are you copying from the Exagrid or doing a job direct to Object?  If so you can set the direct to Object job to run after the other backup job.  If using a SOBR with the Exagrid you can add object to Capacity tier and turn on Copy Mode.

Backup Job direct to Object (Exagrid). I’m not using SOBR.

I’m hoping the Backup Job finish it will then auto-start the “Direct Backup to Object Storage” to AWS Glacier Deep Archive. Is that possible?

Direct to Object means you can send a backup job or copy job directly to object storage.  So you need to set it up that way it's not automatic.

For clarification, I can create a “Backup Copy Job” that will perform a “Direct Backup to Object Storage” to AWS. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct. 

Another clarification, can I set the “Direct Backup to Object Storage” to offload the data to AWS after my Backup Job finish?

Edit: I found my answer from the link below, but can the data be saved onto disk as well and then offload the data to AWS, so my data can be at two places?

Veeam v12 Sneak Peek: direct backup to Object Storage • Nolabnoparty

It can if using a SOBR as I mentioned.  That is the way to accomplish this.

I’m not using SOBR. Then my only option is using the “Backup Copy Job” option. Correct?

Yes then you have it in two places. SOBR is one option that is all. BCJ will also work.

After you mentioned SOBR, this seems to what I would like to do. Is their a Step-by-Step guide that you can point me  to on how to set a Performance Tier = Capacity Tier = Archive Tier? I can’t find much information online regarding offloading data from Veeam SOBR to AWS Glacier Deep Archive/

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’m currently using an Exagrid appliance as my backup repository. Can the “Direct Backup to Object Storage” be configured to auto-start as soon as the corresponding backup job completes?

Are you copying from the Exagrid or doing a job direct to Object?  If so you can set the direct to Object job to run after the other backup job.  If using a SOBR with the Exagrid you can add object to Capacity tier and turn on Copy Mode.

I’m hoping the Backup Job finish it will then auto-start the “Direct Backup to Object Storage” to AWS Glacier Deep Archive. Is that possible?

Direct to Object means you can send a backup job or copy job directly to object storage.  So you need to set it up that way it's not automatic.

For clarification, I can create a “Backup Copy Job” that will perform a “Direct Backup to Object Storage” to AWS. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct. 

Another clarification, can I set the “Direct Backup to Object Storage” to offload the data to AWS after my Backup Job finish?

Edit: I found my answer from the link below, but can the data be saved onto disk as well and then offload the data to AWS, so my data can be at two places?

I’m not using SOBR. Then my only option is using the “Backup Copy Job” option. Correct?

Yes then you have it in two places. SOBR is one option that is all. BCJ will also work.

After you mentioned SOBR, this seems to what I would like to do. Is their a Step-by-Step guide that you can point me  to on how to set a Performance Tier = Capacity Tier = Archive Tier? I can’t find much information online regarding offloading data from Veeam SOBR to AWS Glacier Deep Archive/

Hello @vane 

For implement Archive Tier you need an Amazon S3 Glacier storage or Azure Archive.
You could find more information here: 
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/archive_tier.html?ver=110

And here a link how to set up a SOBR:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/sobr_add.html?ver=110

Userlevel 2

Yes that is correct. 

Hello @vane 

For implement Archive Tier you need an Amazon S3 Glacier storage or Azure Archive.

Thanks.

Also, if I setup SOBR in Veeam using Exagrid as a Performance Tier, and if I needed to delete data on the Landing Zone in Exagrid to free up space, will it delete the data in AWS S3 and/or Glacier as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes that is correct. 

Here is both the help guide and Best Practice for SOBR.

Scale-Out Backup Repository - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Scale-Out Repos - Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes that is correct. 

Hello @vane 

Thanks.

Also, if I setup SOBR in Veeam using Exagrid as a Performance Tier, and if I needed to delete data on the Landing Zone in Exagrid to free up space, will it delete the data in AWS S3 and/or Glacier as well?

I m not sure to really understand.
In your SOBR backup are copy or move or both  to you capacity tier following your configuration. In the Archive tier you only have GFS backup files older than a defined number of days move from your capacity tier to archive tier. 
Have you enable immuability in your bucket?

Also your oldest backup files (GFS point) are not necessarily in the landing zone but in the retention zone of your Exagrid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Backup copy to another bucket in other region ?  :D

I was implying direct to object storage. Sure, adding a copy job helps, but then that is not too much different than a backup copy to object storage :). I can already do that.

I guess if you backup direct to object storage, the copy to another bucket, it could potentially eliminate the need for on prem storage. That is a hugely added bonus for some.  I like my fast restores though and as a storage guy I enjoy having my own disk.

I also find some vendors, if you want to get OUT of their storage would cost an insane amount. If it’s archive data, I tend to put some of it to tape and have that data in object storage as well. I use the object storage for restores as I can still extract app aware files without pulling in a whole VM. If I was to switch clouds, I own the tape and it would be free to stage it somewhere and upload somewhere else. 

Well - correct.  backup direct to object in the cloud does have some more architectural questions around it.  Like fast restores and where to put the second copy.  For the second copy I guess a backup copy to object in different region in a different store account will work - but I don’t think it is aas good as backup to a hardened repo then a BCJ to object in the cloud.  

You could also make that first copy to a on-premesis object store and then do a BCJ out to the cloud.  If an end user has the correct S3 compatible object lock storage then you can have an immutable on-prem copy with out having to learn Linux. 😉

Userlevel 2

Needs clarification

To create a Scale-Out Backup Repository (SOBR) with a Archive Tier, Am I required to have a EC2 Instance Proxy? I think it does, but do I create it or does the Veeam application creates when I configure my backups for retention?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/glacier_proxy_appliance.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Needs clarification

To create a Scale-Out Backup Repository (SOBR) with a Archive Tier, Am I required to have a EC2 Instance Proxy? I think it does, but do I create it or does the Veeam application creates when I configure my backups for retention?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/glacier_proxy_appliance.html?ver=110

Yes for the Archive tier we need a server with EBS disks.  That is a”helper server” that is used to change the block size of what’s stored in S3 to match the recommended block size in Glacier.

Userlevel 2

Needs clarification

Yes for the Archive tier we need a server with EBS disks.  That is a”helper server” that is used to change the block size of what’s stored in S3 to match the recommended block size in Glacier.

Ok. So Veeam, the application itself will create the EC2 instance, but is that additional cost - moving data from Capacity Tier to Archive Tier? I was told, if I were to setup an AWS Virtual Tape Gateway or Starwinds VTL, set the necessary settings within the applications to move data from S3 to Archive Tier, it’s free. Is that correct?

Userlevel 2

Needs clarification

Ok. So Veeam, the application itself will create the EC2 instance, but is that additional cost - moving data from Capacity Tier to Archive Tier? I was told, if I were to setup an AWS Virtual Tape Gateway or Starwinds VTL, set the necessary settings within the applications to move data from S3 to Archive Tier, it’s free. Is that correct?

There will be a cost but minimal (I think). See link below.

https://forums.veeam.com/object-storage-f52/glacier-specific-archive-tier-questions-t72453.html

Userlevel 1

Yes that is correct. 

Hello @vane 

Thanks.

I m not sure to really understand.
In your SOBR backup are copy or move or both  to you capacity tier following your configuration. In the Archive tier you only have GFS backup files older than a defined number of days move from your capacity tier to archive tier. 
Have you enable immuability in your bucket?

Also your oldest backup files (GFS point) are not necessarily in the landing zone but in the retention zone of your Exagrid.

I’m not even sure Exagrid supports S3 natively yet like VAST Data or Wasabi does.

Comment