V.E.E.A.M. : What does it mean - where it stands for ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi all,

We all love VEEAM :heart_eyes: .

But why is it called like that?

Originally Ratmir Timashev and Andrei Baronov founded Veeam in 2006.

They called their company from the phonetic pronunciation of the letters VM (stands for Virtual Machine)!

In the meanwhile everybody knows that the company is owned by US Insight Partners and has it’s headquarters in Baar (Switzerland) and in Columbus, Ohio (US).

I think that this is too simple, the name V.E.E.A.M. stands for much more...

V

Virtual Machines / Virtualization. Yes correct, it all started at the beginning with monitoring and reporting for a virtual infrastructure.

Virtual machines and virtualization is probably still the most used asset with the veeam products.

Versatile. It’s more than clear that Veeam tries to have a solution for every demand, so it has definitely versatile products.

Vision. Veeam has a great vision : To be the most trusted provider of Backup solutions that deliver Cloud Data Management!

E

Eliminate Data Loss. VBR brings balance to your data protection objectives with a 4-in-1 solution, combining storage snapshots, backup, replication and Continuous Data Protection under a single platform.

Eliminate Ransomware. Veeam keeps your data safe with native immutable, malware-safe storage repositories for your backups, preventing malicious encryption and deletion.

E

Environment Data Availability. Veeam protects your data being available for several and diverse environments.

Ecosystem. Since the founding in 2006, Veeam believes their solutions should be open and integrate with an ecosystem of partners to accommodate their customer’s environments.

Together with their Veeam Technical Alliance Partners, they deliver reliable Backup, data center transformation, infrastructure modernization and cloud solutions and services to their joint customers worldwide. Veeam partners with industry-leading hardware and software partners and system integrators.

Together, Veeam closes the gap between what today’s businesses expect and what IT can deliver.

A

Accelerate Data Protection. Veeam is always innovating and trying to accelerate the protection of the most precious thing of a company : their data.

Always Reliable. As everyone knows : Veeam → It just works, so it is the most reliable backup software on the planet!

Any Environment. Hyper-V, vSphere, Windows, Linux, Mac, Azure, AWS, a VM on any cloud provider using an agent, any physical machine, … for almost any environment Veeam has a solution to protect and backup the data.

M

Monitoring. As already mentioned, it all started with a product that could monitor the virtual infrastructure, now we all know it as Veeam ONE, and that is not the only and most important product anymore. Today we have a lot more solutions available.

Modern Data Protection. Simple, Flexible, Reliable. Your single backup and data management platform for cloud, virtual and physical.

Definitely more than just the phonetic pronunciation of the letters VM if you ask me :blush:

regards

Nico

17 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is awesome.  Great explanation of the name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Nico Losschaert : Wow you are insider, you knew everything !

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for the share @Nico Losschaert 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx @coolsport00 and @Inder , you’ re welcome, I am trying to add something to the community...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Does nobody has other ideas to add regarding the letters of VEEAM, what Veeam stands for? Thx for feedback ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Here it is: Название Veeam произошло от англоязычной аббревиатуры, использующейся для сокращенного названия виртуальной машины — «VM»

https://hrmonitor.ru/bio/ratmir-timashev.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So Ratmir Timashev and Andrei Baranov took it from the English VM. According a Russian article. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

actually the Russian wiki :) I had both open at the same time. https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veeam_Software

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I love your decryption, @Nico Losschaert:blush:

@Geoff Burke, you can read Russian? WOW!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I love your decryption, @Nico Losschaert:blush:

@Geoff Burke, you can read Russian? WOW!  

Yup. I came to IT late, my University degree was Slavic Studies, Major in Russian language and Literature and a Minor in Polish. :) I think there are a lot of people who ended up in the IT industry but started in completely different areas :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Love this article & Veeam explanation @Nico Losschaert !!! :clap:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx @Kseniya , @NikolaPejkova  and @Geoff Burke  for the add-ons and liking this post!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thx @Kseniya , @NikolaPejkova  and @Geoff Burke  for the add-ons and liking this post!

Of course we could give it new meaning :)

VEEAM = A Lean Mean Backup and Restore Machine!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Verifiable

Extendable

Accelerated

Agnostic

Management

Some of the key principles of Veeam’s design philosophy

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx for the add-on @MicoolPaul  ;-) !

Userlevel 3

Hi all,

We all love VEEAM :heart_eyes: .

But why is it called like that?

Originally Ratmir Timashev and Andrei Baronov founded Veeam in 2006.

They called their company from the phonetic pronunciation of the letters VM (stands for Virtual Machine)!

In the meanwhile everybody knows that the company is owned by US Insight Partners and has it’s headquarters in Baar (Switzerland) and in Columbus, Ohio (US).

I think that this is too simple, the name V.E.E.A.M. stands for much more...

V

Virtual Machines / Virtualization. Yes correct, it all started at the beginning with monitoring and reporting for a virtual infrastructure.

Virtual machines and virtualization is probably still the most used asset with the veeam products.

Versatile. It’s more than clear that Veeam tries to have a solution for every demand, so it has definitely versatile products.

Vision. Veeam has a great vision : To be the most trusted provider of Backup solutions that deliver Cloud Data Management!

E

Eliminate Data Loss. VBR brings balance to your data protection objectives with a 4-in-1 solution, combining storage snapshots, backup, replication and Continuous Data Protection under a single platform.

Eliminate Ransomware. Veeam keeps your data safe with native immutable, malware-safe storage repositories for your backups, preventing malicious encryption and deletion.

E

Environment Data Availability. Veeam protects your data being available for several and diverse environments.

Ecosystem. Since the founding in 2006, Veeam believes their solutions should be open and integrate with an ecosystem of partners to accommodate their customer’s environments.

Together with their Veeam Technical Alliance Partners, they deliver reliable Backup, data center transformation, infrastructure modernization and cloud solutions and services to their joint customers worldwide. Veeam partners with industry-leading hardware and software partners and system integrators.

Together, Veeam closes the gap between what today’s businesses expect and what IT can deliver.

A

Accelerate Data Protection. Veeam is always innovating and trying to accelerate the protection of the most precious thing of a company : their data.

Always Reliable. As everyone knows : Veeam → It just works, so it is the most reliable backup software on the planet!

Any Environment. Hyper-V, vSphere, Windows, Linux, Mac, Azure, AWS, a VM on any cloud provider using an agent, any physical machine, … for almost any environment Veeam has a solution to protect and backup the data.

M

Monitoring. As already mentioned, it all started with a product that could monitor the virtual infrastructure, now we all know it as Veeam ONE, and that is not the only and most important product anymore. Today we have a lot more solutions available.

Modern Data Protection. Simple, Flexible, Reliable. Your single backup and data management platform for cloud, virtual and physical.

Definitely more than just the phonetic pronunciation of the letters VM if you ask me :blush:

regards

Nico

This is just great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thx @Malo !

Comment