Skip to main content

Object First (OOTBI) - Installation & Configuration

Back at the end of July I was able to finally get my Object First OOTBI box taken to one of our datacenters to have it racked, cabled and configured for use.  I am doing a blog series on this and here is the first one.

https://just-virtualization.tech/2024/08/13/object-first-ootbi-installation-configuration/

Object First (OOTBI) – Installation & Configuration

It has been a couple of weeks now since I visited our datacenter and was able to get my Object First (OOTBI) appliance racked, cabled and configured. It was a long debate on whether I would bring the device up in my home office and risk a large power bill or take it to one of the datacenters locally for the company ThinkOn that I work for. The choice was clear due to the appliance being a SuperMicro box and probably wanting some good power – DC it is!

On July 25th I packed up OOTBI and took him to our Cambridge DC.

OOTBI packed up heading to the Datacenter

Once I arrived and got the box transported to the racks, the installation took no time which was the rails for the rack and sides of the appliance, racking it, cabling and then configuration. It took all but 20 minutes to get the box up and running and accessible which was fantastic. The system even comes with a large card in it that explains the configuration process of the unit and then how to add the system to Veeam B&R console (see below).

So during setup you complete the following steps from initial boot up –

• Accept the License Agreement
  • Select – Setup New Cluster option
  • Configure the required network adapters that are connected – in my case just the 2 x 10GB ports were connected for data – 2 separate IPs are required
  • Configure a hostname for your appliance
  • Configure the Cluster Name & IP – different IP to the network card IPs you configured above – this is more like a VIP (Virtual IP)
  • Configure the administrator password for login

This will then complete the setup where you can then access the OOTBI appliance via the Web UI Address to log in using the username of “objectfirst” and the password configured on the initial setup in the steps above.

After logging in to the Web UI you can set up new users, buckets, access keys, and many other things. So overall the setup of the Object First OOTBI appliance is pretty straightforward and simple to get you going in less than 30 minutes. That is amazing!!

In my next blog post I will cover some of the settings within the Web UI that you can set up including things like –

• Users
  • Access Keys for a User
  • Buckets
  • Updates – running the check and updating the appliance/cluster
  • And a few other goodies

I will also be doing a blog on the Object First VSA appliance in the future so keep an eye out for that one. Until the next one happy blogging.

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It arrived!...and you configured it! 😃 Congrats Chris 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Not difficult installation. Clear and simple steps. Very nice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Not difficult installation. Clear and simple steps. Very nice!

Thanks 👍 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It seems you got a new appliance, or is the same one here “Object First (OOTBI) - Blog Series | Veeam Community Resource Hub”! Excellent steps outlined, happy testing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It seems to me that you got a new appliance, or is this same one “Object First (OOTBI) - Blog Series | Veeam Community Resource Hub”! Excellent steps outlined, happy testing.

Yes it is same one just finally got it set up for testing and blogging.  😂 

Comment