New Blog Series: Cloud Object Storage Deep Dive

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Today I’m excited to finally share my blog series that I’ve been working on for some time, a deep dive into the object storage solutions available from the “big three” public cloud hyperscalers (Azure/AWS/GCP).

Part one is available now over at the Veeam Blog and I’ll be updating this post as the other sections become available over the coming days! I won’t spoil the reading but part one focuses on a review of these three services, where they are similar or differentiate so you can start to align yourself with a suitable cloud!

UPDATE 25/08/2021: Part two is now available!

UPDATE 04/10/2021: Part three is now available!

Cloud Object Storage Deep Dive - Part One, Comparison

Cloud Object Storage Deep Dive - Part Two, Implementation

Cloud Object Storage Deep Dive - Part Three, Benchmarks

Any questions? Did it help? Please feel free to give feedback!

21 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wooow!

Rise and shine. Congrats for this official post @MicoolPaul.

I think that this kind of content deserves a translation for pt-br on Veeam Brazilian site.

Verry good Michael and keep it rock!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@MicoolPaul : Amazing mate :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Great Topic @MicoolPaul!! , this is a big area of interest for me too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Great blog post @MicoolPaul ! It's interesting to see the details and differences between each hyperscaler and their products.

Regarding the API calls/costs; in the long term do they make a difference? It's always hard to calculate those costs compared to the storage costs per GB/TB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks everyone!

@regnor they definitely have an impact, I’ll be exploring this more in part two but essentially your block size is going to have an impact on the API call requirements and how they scale relative to the size of your backups.

I’ll also demonstrate some scenarios to help itemise what you should be expecting to be billed for as part of day to day operations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Good one, @MicoolPaul 

Your are a very good blogger 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great work, @MicoolPaul !

I remember your teaser during one of the last Legends meeting!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Great post @MicoolPaul ! I really love this kind of posts and this content is great. Shout out Michael!!! Looking forward to part 2 ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks everyone! 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just stumbled on this after my vacay.  Another great resource for me to read.  Great work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Updated with part two, now live on the Veeam Blog!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Updated with part two, now live on the Veeam Blog!

Thanks Michael. Looking forward to the next part 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

finally I could read the second part - calmly. Thank for this information! Really learned a lot of Cloud-Object-Storage access!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi all,

Just a final update to this thread to let you know that my third and final part in this series is now live on the Veeam blog! Though I may revisit this in the future as technology changes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi all,

Just a final update to this thread to let you know that my third and final part in this series is now live on the Veeam blog! Though I may revisit this in the future as technology changes!

Its already on my “have-to-read-in-the-next-days” list. :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi all,

I take that as a very high compliment!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi all,

I take that as a very high compliment!

please do not overstate :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Great job @MicoolPaul , added to favorites!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

So, part 3 answered the question I've had after your initial post. It's quite a surprise to me how much difference the block size can make.

Great series @MicoolPaul! Thanks for your work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So, part 3 answered the question I've had after your initial post. It's quite a surprise to me how much difference the block size can make.

Great series @MicoolPaul! Thanks for your work!

Thanks @regnor! I’ll have to go and re-validate everything now we have the option of 8MB blocks too :joy: but at least the trend of the other block sizes helps paint the picture of what that’ll do...

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Awesome Topic @MicoolPaul

Comment