Skip to main content

I recently had to cover off a very unique use case, making capacity tier data available for restore after being disconnected. After doing I thought I’d share so here’s a little post I wrote:

https://www.koolaid.info/maintaining-recoverability-in-veeam-capacity-tier-migrations/

This was definitely a very interesting use case you wrote about.  Great article Jim.

Glad you liked it @Chris.Childerhose, any part of that you’ve run into before?

Glad you liked it @Chris.Childerhose, any part of that you’ve run into before?

Not as yet but we are doing many migrations which this could potentially play a part in but we will see.

Nice writeup Jim. Good to know there’s a way to get those Object Storage (Capacity) data into VBR. Will keep this handy if ever needed. 👍🏻

You primarily focused on Capacity tier - I am curious how this would all work if you have an Archive tier attached as well? Would anything change?

That’s a very cool way to get your data off the storage after a migration if you need.  It’s similar to if you were to add a tape library and import/rescan all of the tapes to find the old backups.

Another reason encryption is so important too. 

You primarily focused on Capacity tier - I am curious how this would all work if you have an Archive tier attached as well? Would anything change?

Hey @TylerJurgens I would think that Archive tier would work the other way but I don’t think you’d ever want to use it in anger as it’d be excessively expensive and slow. Capacity tier though I think there will be a good deal of multi-cloud movement as Veeam Admins get more and more comfortable with object storage as a 1st class citizen.

Appreciate your insights Jim!

Comment