Homelab Choice

• 6 February 2024
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am sure someone else will find this blog post very useful. I have been doing extensive research since I created this blog post below. 

So I purchased Beelink EQ12 3x recently. Beelink EQ12 mini PC since it has an Intel 12th Alder Lake-N100 processor (4C/4T, up to 3.4GHz, 25W TDP), delivers 25% more power than N5105. The low power consumption makes this mini-computer great for light work, 4K video playback etc. At this time, this Mini PC costs 329.00, and there is a promotional voucher of 45 euros. So it will be about 284 euros.

Other Additions
- Got a TP-Link TL-SG108E 8-Port Gigabit Switch (Plug and Play, Gigabit Ports, VLAN, QoS)
- A Synology 923+ [I got this due to my Veeam Legend and vExpert status]. Here is a post on how to set up DS923+, and many more to come. The next would be on how to protect DS923+.
- Wyebot wireless intelligence (To be reviewed as well)
- I'm considering purchasing a NGFW appliance and would appreciate your insight. 

Today, I completed these blog posts based on how to install ESXi on EQ12 Mini PC. I will get another node so I can create more posts on HA, and vMotion etc. Also, see how to install Proxmox VE on EQ12. I am also working a blogpost on installing Windows Server 2025 / Configuring HyperV on Beelink EQ12. This will be linked as well.

I got an Intel NUC 13 for 999 Euro since it has the latest CPU that supports ESXi 8. But then, I thought to myself again… Right now, I have no Intel NUC 😄 If you would like to get an Intel NUC, see this post below.

•  

Other Home Lab inspiration. I never considered the Zima Server for my Home Lab inspiration.

•  

BTW, you will also find the following post by @k00laidIT very interesting

•  

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey @Iams3le - I was just going to reference your post here to Jim’s, but you already did so. 

Good stuff, sir! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Iams3le - I was just going to reference your post here to Jim’s, but you already did so. 

Good stuff, sir! 😊

Thank you for that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great post on lab stuff.  Seems to be a hot topic always on how to start or improve upon what you already have.  Thanks for sharing this. 👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great post on lab stuff.  Seems to be a hot topic always on how to start or improve upon what you already have.  Thanks for sharing this. 👍🏼

I agree! It's always a concern to find a device that meets specific hardware requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

- A Synology 923+ [I got this due to my Veeam Legend and vExpert status]. Here is a post on how to set up DS923+, and many more to come. The next would be on how to protect DS923+.

Hah...I wonder how many of us got these.  I just assembled mine today and am getting ready to set it up, but I have to balance it with the day-job and right now I’m about triple overbooked, so it may be a bit before I can find the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hah...I wonder how many of us got these.  I just assembled mine today and am getting ready to set it up, but I have to balance it with the day-job and right now I’m about triple overbooked, so it may be a bit before I can find the time.

Mine arrived just in time! I had to cancel my order for it. It will serve the real need and generate numerous articles.

Comment