Favourite 12.1 Features

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Just a short post today - I cherry picked a couple of my favourite features of 12.1. There were so many to choose from, but the features I love best in new releases are often the big heroes that hide in the shadows. 

Maintenance mode enhancements — running Cloud Connect Replication jobs and Cloud Connect CDP policies will now be stopped gracefully and prevented from starting automatically for the duration of the maintenance mode.

This one has long been a thorn for us Service Providers. You put the environment into maintenance mode, but replicas continue to come through. I’m excited to see this new feature being implemented! Now maintenance on CC environments are going to be much less troublesome!

PostgreSQL database support — following multiple optimizations and QA testing, starting from v12.1 we’re removing the previous recommendation not to use PostgreSQL as a configuration database for  Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructures.

Huge feature here! No longer will we be chained to expensive MS SQL licensing. Looking forward to doing this migration myself!

Full VMware Cloud Director 10.5 support — in addition to basic backup and restore compatibility provided by the corresponding V12 hotfix, V12.1 delivers full VMware Cloud Director 10.5 support including vSphere Web Client plug-in and all Veeam CDP functionality.

Another fantastic compatibility release. The KB needs to be updated, but I’m looking forward to this pushing this Veeam release so we can also push VCD 10.5.

Last but not least on my list:

Object storage improvements — multiple under-the-hood optimizations were implemented to significantly improve the performance of object storage repository operations like backup rescan, import, upgrade and removal while reducing object storage load at the same time.

There are many other improvements with v12.1! Check them out here and let me know, what are your favourite improvement unsung heroes of this release? 

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Definitely loving these enhancements for sure especially the SP related ones.  Moving off SQL for VCC has been something I have wanted so nice to finally see it happen.

Also, many of the security enhancements are great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The disk space check is a big time saver. We have lots of deployments where the guys always get stung by low disk space when performing upgrades.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Tons of anticipated features with this release. Malware scan directly from backup is one I’m looking forward to!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Object enhancements are great.  I hate how long it can take to rescan a repo at times, but it’s just what happens I suppose.  Anyhow, any enhancements here are welcome!  I’ve upgraded my VCC/VCSP/VB365 environments as well as Veeam ONE that’s attached to them, but I didn’t realize I was having issues with my VONE deployment in which some of my VB365 repo’s aren’t showing up.  I have having some wierdness where it was showing disconnected and attempted to delete the VB365 server from VONE but it’s been working on deleting for about 14 hours now.  I think it may be pooched, but honestly, I can redeploy this from scratch as I really haven’t been using it anyway.  Might still be worth opening a ticket with Veeam though.

The best thing was the creation of the plugin for db2

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Yara rules are going to be a top one for me. I have SQL Enterprise licenses but tempted to switch to PostgreSQL anyways when I upgrade. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Yara rules are going to be a top one for me. I have SQL Enterprise licenses but tempted to switch to PostgreSQL anyways when I upgrade. 

We are planning the move to Postgres now that VCC can run on it. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I need to plan the same. Now my debate is… do I run postgres in a docker container, or directly installed on the OS. On one hand, I could then use Veeam to backup postgres if its on the OS itself, on the other hand, docker is so much easier...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I need to plan the same. Now my debate is… do I run postgres in a docker container, or directly installed on the OS. On one hand, I could then use Veeam to backup postgres if its on the OS itself, on the other hand, docker is so much easier...

Ubuntu 22.04 for me.  😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Ubuntu 22.04 for me.  😋

Likely would do the same here. While Docker would be easier, I’m not sure I really gain anything by containerizing postgres in this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Chris.Childerhose LINUX ALL DA TINGS! 😆

@TylerJurgens - containers are overrated IMO. Not for enterprises for sure, but for most SMBs; I’m not even aware of any SMB orgs which use them. In speaking with Mr. Cade a yr ago, he mentined some SMBs he’s spoken with are starting to use them here and there, but generally speaking not many use them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@TylerJurgens - containers are overrated IMO. Not for enterprises for sure, but for most SMBs; I’m not even aware of any SMB orgs which use them. In speaking with Mr. Cade a yr ago, he mentined some SMBs he’s spoken with are starting to use them here and there, but generally speaking not many use them. 

Yeah, we are making the move to more Linux for Postgres, Proxies and Repositories.  Might even test for tape role too.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“Might even test for tape role too.  😁” ← WHOA! Living on the edge now! 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

There are people out there who see the future as a container only world. I think most of the time those people are showing a solution in search of a problem. 

I do think containers are a valuable tool to have in your tool belt. I’ve been able to solve problems using containers that would be difficult or expensive to solve on a non container environment. They’re not suitable everywhere, but if they solve a problem, use them! If they don’t solve a problem, then find something that does.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh, for sure. I played around with them a few yrs ago. At my lil ole SMB, they aren’t worth the effort to implement. But I agree...there can be uses for them. 

Comment