Skip to main content

Our Migration Toolkit for Virtualization 🕺

Many have asked me what a migration flow is with our toolkit from the VMware Hypervisor to Openshift Virtualization, in this flowchart I will list each of the steps, how with this Tool we can leave our Virtual Machine ready to be take backup by Kasten🤓

1. When you run a migration plan, the Migration Controller creates a VirtualMachineImport custom resource (CR) for each source VM.
  2. The Virtual Machine Import Controller validates the VirtualMachineImport CR and generates a VirtualMachine CR.
  3. The Virtual Machine Import Controller retrieves the VM configuration, including network, storage, and metadata, linked in the VirtualMachineImport CR.

For each VM disk:

4. The Virtual Machine Import Controller creates a DataVolume CR as a wrapper for a Persistent Volume Claim (PVC) and annotations.

5. The Containerized Data Importer (CDI) Controller creates a PVC. The Persistent Volume (PV) is dynamically provisioned by the StorageClass provisioner.

6. The CDI Controller creates an Importer pod.
  7. The Importer pod connects to the VM disk by using the VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit (VDDK) SDK and streams the VM disk to the PV.

After the VM disks are transferred:

8. The Virtual Machine Import Controller creates a Conversion pod with the PVCs attached to it.

The Conversion pod runs virt-v2v, which installs and configures device drivers on the PVCs of the target VM.

9. The Virtual Machine Import Controller creates a VirtualMachineInstance CR.
  10. When the target VM is powered on, the KubeVirt Controller creates a VM pod.

The VM pod runs QEMU-KVM with the PVCs attached as VM disks.

11. The VMs are ready to Kasten

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

I hope, i will never get in need for this migration - but thanks for sharing, if i have to, here is the way to go! 🙂

I hope, i will never get in need for this migration - but thanks for sharing, if i have to, here is the way to go! 🙂

😂

Comment