Big News Cohesity buys Veritas what will that mean for Veeam?

• 8 February 2024
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You may have seen this: https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/softbank-backed-cohesity-reaches-deal-to-acquire-veritas-unit-1.2032340

I don’t know what this will mean. The backup world is huge but still.

Any thoughts?

5 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

They probably got a great deal, the last time I checked, Veritas was experiencing negative growth.  How much do you have to pay to still be less than #3 in your market?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow this will be interesting being a Cohesity Partner and what this means.  Maybe some new backup solutions to offer in our portfolio.  Thanks for sharing this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Whoa! Interesting!

I haven’t heard much about Veritas lately..years, to be exact. So thought I’d do a little web searching. I thought Symantec had bought Veritas, or vice versa...couldn’t recall. From what I found out, they had merged in 2004, then demerged in 2014. Enter Broadcom….yes that Broadcom 😂 In 2019 they acquired the Enterprise Security software division of Symantec, and Symantec then was named NortonLifeLock. NortonLifeLock then merged with Avast (whoever that is) in 2022 and changed its name to Gen Digital...with HQs based in Tempe, AZ and our fave place...PRAGUE! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Whoa! Interesting!

I haven’t heard much about Veritas lately..years, to be exact. So thought I’d do a little web searching. I thought Symantec had bought Veritas, or vice versa...couldn’t recall. From what I found out, they had merged in 2004, then demerged in 2014. Enter Broadcom….yes that Broadcom 😂 In 2019 they acquired the Enterprise Security software division of Symantec, and Symantec then was named NortonLifeLock. NortonLifeLock then merged with Avast (whoever that is) in 2022 and changed its name to Gen Digital...with HQs based in Tempe, AZ and our fave place...PRAGUE! 😊

Yes, NetBackup was a Symantec product, then they spun off as a Veritas product, and then put it back under Symantec.  And yeah...Broadcom acquired Symantec, and what was already a pretty poor product IMO could not have gotten better from there.  It’s amazing how many iterations a company can go through…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

They probably got a great deal, the last time I checked, Veritas was experiencing negative growth.  How much do you have to pay to still be less than #3 in your market?

It’s amazing what the press release says - they seem very humble…..

Veritas is the leader in secure multi-cloud data management. Over 80,000 customers—including 91% of the Fortune 100—rely on Veritas to help ensure the protection, recoverability and compliance of their data. Veritas has a reputation for reliability at scale, which delivers the resilience its customers need against the disruptions threatened by cyberattacks, like ransomware. No other vendor is able to match Veritas' ability to execute, with support for 800+ data sources, 100+ operating systems and 1,400+ storage targets through a single, unified approach. Powered by Cloud Scale Technology, Veritas is delivering today on its strategy for Autonomous Data Management that reduces operational overhead while delivering greater value.

Comment